What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

James Aircraft new owners

Jimmy Cox

Mona and I are the new owners of James Aircraft. We will have the same name, phone number and email address. We will be in full production by the first of the year and start catching up on orders. We will continue to support and advertise in VAF. We plan on getting the RV-10 and RV-14 cowlings in production in the near future. If you have an order with JA, touch base with us and we can give you an idea of lead time for your order.

About us. Extreme Composites has made composite parts for Team Rocket for almost 20 years and JA adds to our product line. We are located in central Texas and we look forward to working with RV owners.

We also have a non-profit organization to get youth involved in aviation called Rockdale Tiger Flight and we meet at the Rockdale airport (KRCK) every Saturday. Stop by and visit. Look at our facebook page "Rockdale Tiger Flight".

Thats great that these cowls will continue to be in production. I have one on my RV6 and I am planning on putting one on my RV8.

Great to hear you are working an reintroducing the RV-10 cowl. I loved mine. My next RV build will be another RV-10 and I will not be using the stock cowl. Here is my 2012 RV-10 with the James Cowl.
F882-ED37-1553-44-D2-8-CCB-273-D09-B65604.jpg

When do you think you will have it available? I’m hopeful you will include a cowl to support horizontal fuel injection as well as the stock vertical.

Carl

Great to hear you are working an reintroducing the RV-10 cowl. I loved mine. My next RV build will be another RV-10 and I will not be using the stock cowl. Here is my 2012 RV-10 with the James Cowl.
F882-ED37-1553-44-D2-8-CCB-273-D09-B65604.jpg

When do you think you will have it available? I’m hopeful you will include a cowl to support horizontal fuel injection as well as the stock vertical.

Carl

We Are all on it now, so maybe a month or so. How many want the horizontal FI option?

My plenum fit quite well. Certainly not perfect but required only minor modification to work. (circa 2016).

Glad you had a better result than I did - I had to hack 3 of the 4 corners and ended up completely cutting off the front and reglassing it. I would have been better off starting from scratch. That was 2015.

On my 2012 RV-10 I followed the Sam James hand written plenum instruction to form the metal sides and such using a sheet of 0.032”. The plenum fit just fine.

Carl

We Are all on it now, so maybe a month or so. How many want the horizontal FI option?

Do the round inlets preclude the use of a snorkel internal to the cowling to feed the horizontal FI throttle body? I like the looks of the round inlets, but I also like the looks of the smooth “snoutless” cowling.

Do the round inlets preclude the use of a snorkel internal to the cowling to feed the horizontal FI throttle body? I like the looks of the round inlets, but I also like the looks of the smooth “snoutless” cowling.

Merely being "round" would have little effect, other than a requirement to build what can't be bought.

You would need to think about available pressure. The stock Vans inlet tends toward external diffusion, meaning most of the conversion from dynamic pressure to increased static pressure has taken place by the time the flow reaches the filter in the ramp. Some of the James choices include small inlet rings. Small area = high velocity, thus a greater dependence on internal diffusion. If flow velocity is high in the region of the snorkel filter, you'll miss out on some potential manifold pressure increase.

See Figs 43 to 48 in NASA CR 3405.

Last edited:

I hope Dan's answer helped. We are still learning how all the parts of the induction system go together. Sam James did a lot of work on them and we don't plan on changing his success.

The plenum on my 7 restricted the airflow to the oil cooler and was not an easy fix to modify it. Was way too close to the cylinder head. Poor design in my opinion but great build quality

I hope Dan's answer helped. We are still learning how all the parts of the induction system go together. Sam James did a lot of work on them and we don't plan on changing his success.

My question was actually a roundabout way of asking if a smooth James cowling (no snout) was available, as I didn’t see one on the website, and I have no intention to try to develop one. From Dan’s reply, I assume the answer to that question is no. I might still be interested in a James cowl for an RV-7 with horizontal induction (IO-360-M1B).

My question was actually a roundabout way of asking if a smooth James cowling (no snout) was available, as I didn’t see one on the website, and I have no intention to try to develop one. From Dan’s reply, I assume the answer to that question is no. I might still be interested in a James cowl for an RV-7 with horizontal induction (IO-360-M1B).

We would be happy to build you one.

Back