What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fore and aft play in the stick

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
My bronze bushings were a bit undersized after I reamed the holes in the stick base, resulting in slop in the fore-and-aft motion of the stick. Looks like about 1/16th inch on the left and double that on the right, measured at the end of the stick. Tightening the castle nut can remove some for-and-aft play, but the side-to-side motion then shows some resistance, possibly due to some radial expansion of the bushing under axial compression. How much play are others seeing? Also, should the side-to-side motion be so free that the sticks will flop over if centered and released (without wings on, of course)?

I want to settle this before I tension the cables.

Thanks.

Jerre

I have similar play. If you can squeeze in a thin washer between the stick and bracket where the pivot bolt passes through the stick it will help. I really don?t notice it in flight.

I took the bronze bushing and knurled the surface in a lathe to increase the OD. Then turned the OD to slightly oversize for a nice slip fit in the stick pivot tube. Side benefit is knurled surface retains grease. Also added thin stainless steel shoulder bolt washer on each end of stick pivot tube to contain end play.

I took the bronze bushing and knurled the surface in a lathe to increase the OD. Then turned the OD to slightly oversize for a nice slip fit in the stick pivot tube. Side benefit is knurled surface retains grease. Also added thin stainless steel shoulder bolt washer on each end of stick pivot tube to contain end play.

Thanks, guys. I already added the thin washers and it did help. I considered knurling but didn't know about wear (probably a non-issue). I'll either make new bushings or knurl. I'm most likely wasting my time on something that doesn't matter. The wiser forum members are probably whispering under their breath "perfection is the enemy of flying your airplane."

Jerre

Back