What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mechanical atachment of slider wind screen

jibby212

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to begin fitting the slider canopy on my RV7, the windscreen will wait until later because the forward top skin is not riveted on yet. I may be crazy and your welcome to let me know it but I am thinking of forming the wind screen to forward skin fairing mostly per plans but not bonding it to the forward top skin. Im thinking rivets or screws and a sealant between the fiberglass and aluminum that could be removed if ever needed. I am just not in love with bonding the two together, don't have a single real good reason. Has anyone done this?

I've done similar to the last 2 projects I worked on. Saved on the effort to finish the fiberglass/acrylic edge as it could be done off the plane, but after bonding & riveting the fairing to the front skin, I still feathered it in the usual way.

I run a proseal bead along the leading edge of the w/screen for sealing and attachment before doing the glass fiberblass work.

Made mine out of aluminum. There is an article in one of the way-back issues of the RV-aitor on how to do it.

Whichever way you do it, you'll need more than the "handful" of pop-riveted clips that the manual indicates is sufficient - or you'll end up with cracks in the paint at the joint. Anchor that rascal down and make it take root.

Back