What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EchoUAT / GRT Safe-Fly Install

Skid

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed the Echo/GRT Safe-Fly in their RV? If so where did you mount the unit and where did you put the GPS antenna? I have read all the posts I could find but they seemed to be regarding the Echo itself.

I have an RV6A with a GRT Sport SX EFIS and a Garmin 327 transponder.

I put the GRT GPS antenna on the glare shield, but after routing the cable it barely makes it much behind the wing spar.

The ADS-B antenna has to be 1 meter away from the existing transponder/comm antennas (mounted on the exterior under the seats) that puts the antenna behind the baggage bulkhead.

The max length of antenna cable for RG400 is 2.5 meters, which will make it a bit in front of the wing spar.

This puts the Safe-Fly unit under the seat, not really an optimum location.

I spoke to GRT support and they told me I could use an extension cable if I could find one, they use an MCX connector. I ordered one but no joy on the connection. Another option would be to separate the GPS and Echo extending the wires between the units.

Curious to what others have done.

Hi Skid... I installed the the echo/gps unit under the main left gear attachment point inside cockpit by left foot under the cover(Velcro to floor) it is out of sight and has worked good for me. I also mounted gps antenna on glare shield..

Hi Skid... I installed the the echo/gps unit under the main left gear attachment point inside cockpit by left foot under the cover(Velcro to floor) it is out of sight and has worked good for me. I also mounted gps antenna on glare shield..

I thought about doing the same thing. Good to hear that is working for you. How long is the cable run to your ADS-B antenna?

My echo/safefly gps is velcroed onto the sub panel on the pilot side. Gps antenna is on the glare shield and adsb antenna is on bottom of fuselage, behind baggage bulkhead, to get it away from transponder antenna. Everything working great. I replaced the stick antenna with a Delta Pop blade antenna for a little more robustness and better aerodynamics.

Erich

Not exactly sure of the run, I mounted adsb antenna just aft of baggage bulkhead on bottom on fuselage and ran behind left interior panel, maybe 6Ft..

Not exactly sure of the run, I mounted adsb antenna just aft of baggage bulkhead on bottom on fuselage and ran behind left interior panel, maybe 6Ft..

That sounds about right for the length. I had to my antenna further back. I am thinking I might be able to put the unit in a similar place. I will give it a whirl tomorrow. Thanks.

Same equipment. Safefly GPS/Echo UAT mounted on the subpanel infront of the Sport SX. GPS antennas for the Sport SX as well as the Safefly mounted on the glare shield. Transponder antenna mounted under fuselage just forward of the baggage bulkhead. Adsb antenna mounted just aft, like 2?, of the firewall, passenger side. Heat shield foil in the cowl provides forward groundplane. Once I got the Echo updated to play nice with the Sport SX, no problems.

Same equipment. Safefly GPS/Echo UAT mounted on the subpanel infront of the Sport SX. GPS antennas for the Sport SX as well as the Safefly mounted on the glare shield. Transponder antenna mounted under fuselage just forward of the baggage bulkhead. Adsb antenna mounted just aft, like 2?, of the firewall, passenger side. Heat shield foil in the cowl provides forward groundplane. Once I got the Echo updated to play nice with the Sport SX, no problems.

Jeff,
Really... That?s where I was going to mount my antenna but GRT said not a good idea due to the proximity to the engine.
Glad it works.
Mark

I followed your example and it worked out length wise with the RG400 cable. The GPS/Echo is tucked neatly under the left gear mount.

Next thing to do is the smoke test.:eek:

Thanks for the info.
Mark

Heat shield foil in the cowl provides forward groundplane.
ms.

To work properly as a ground plane, you should have a good electrical connection from that foil across to the metal fuselage (and to the coax braid). Sometimes it?s better to just be lucky. RF can be like witchcraft.

Back