What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mating the tail to the fuselage

JOEPILOT

I'm building my RV-12 kit in my extended 1 car garage. I don't have the room to mount the rudder or stabilator right now. Is there any reason why I can't attach the tail to the fuselage now and the rudder and stabilator later when I move the plane to a hanger?
Thanks Joe, #120055

Joe, you might want to consider the "mating" after all wiring, plumbing, landing gear and about everything else you could possibly do. Life will be easier, especially if you are tight for space.

Joe,

That's exactly what I am doing. I mounted the Fuselage/tailcone assembly on a turntable so it rotates about the long axis. This provides great access for installing all the interior componants. Search for "Customer built RV-12 undergoes spin test" to see what I mean.

I can help with details if you want.

I plan on final installing the tail cone to the fuselage just before I take it to the hangar or maybe at the hangar. You can do virtually all of the fuselage / engine / avionics installation without the tail cone attached and you have much more accessibility that way. Plus, it is easier to store and transport the smaller pieces! :)

Back