What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New n Fire extinguisher Type.

Graham

Has anybody used the new small "Element" fire extinguishers on any application, and if so what was your experience?

Has anybody used the new small "Element" fire extinguishers on any application, and if so what was your experience?

I have 4. One in each of my vehicles, one in the shop, and one in the kitchen.

I plan to keep one in the airplane, but would not use it in flight. Once you start it, you would be immersed in a thick fog for a long time. Even though it is non-toxic, visibility would be zero. My reason for carry it in the airplane is that many aircraft fires happen on the ramp where it would be practical.

I have talked with the Element people, and this is their suggestion as well.

Anecdotal evidence...

I spoke with a fellow who had deployed one of these extinguishers to combat a petroleum-based fire in the workshop where he was building his Kitfox. Like Mel mentioned, he had this extinguisher mounted in the Kitfox. When the fire broke out he didn't hesitate to grab the Element and deploy it. It proved completely effective in extinguishing the fire and had far more duration than was needed for that task. Needless to say, he replaced the Element extinguisher in the airplane with a new one so he would be ready for the next time!

Element

This is gonna be a long speech so sit down.
I can't speak for what for the dilemma of a fire in flight cause I hope like @$^%5 I never get to experience one.
I've been blown up by fire a couple of times in my life. One electrical and one vapor. And I am still here with all my digits and no permanent scaring or damage and I can still see.
When I found out about the Element, I bought a couple and tried it out.
FANTASTIC is all I can say.
They ""NEVER"" need servicing and the powder doesn't settle to the bottom.
Oh sure if you light it off in flight you're pretty screwed because you can't turn it off. Well in my opinion you're pretty screwed anyway cause you are on FIRE
DUH!!!!!!
After blowing $75.00 on the test run, I bought 6 more. One in race car, plane, 2 for the hangar, one for the kitchen, personal cars. ETC
They are like a flare, rolling around in your trunk that will work 15 years after you bought it.
Expensive, But, everything else is more expensive if it gets burned up.
Hope I never have to use one in real life, But it will save my or somebody else bacon if I need it.
I can think of at least 6 emergency fires I have had to put out in my life. On one of them the ^@^ ABC wouldn't fire because it hadn't been serviced for a while.
They need to be turned upside down an knocked on something to knock the powder loose so they will actually work. Oh and the powder destroys electronics real fast.
Just go get the Element, Being in a fire is pure @^%^6
Oh ya in the movies fire moves slowly and lets people get blown over there and it looks cool
That is pure **** cause fire moves like a bullet and you don't get just blown over there. You get burn up. Been there done that. Hurts a lot. The hospital stay is not over night either.
I could say more, But you get my drift. Now, I think I'll go drifting in my Nissan 350 Z car for fun.
Good luck Art

Back