What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Oshkosh Trip Report? and the unexpected? Part 1

PilotBrent

Well Known Member
Posting this in the RV-12 section as for me its more about the plane than the trip. Well this year I decided to fly to Oshkosh in my RV-12 loaded up with camping gear (tent, cot & mattress, some food and basic cooking stuff etc..) and to camp for a week, for the very first time under my plane in HBC. Have made the flight once before in N913BC, when it was unpainted, but camping along with acres of RVs around me was a goal I needed to cross off the bucket list.
Major challenge was fitting (what clearly appeared to be way too much) stuff inside the -12. Decided to disassemble the passenger seat, put the cushions in the back, and use that area for the heaviest items and bungee them in place; filled the baggage compartment as best I could with everything else. I weighed every bag and misc item in the days leading up to departure to stay well within CG. In fact, I was clearly well below gross despite what it looks like and the plane flew better than it does when I know I am near gross (less runway, good climb?)

2s7xw13.jpg

Essentially, with the potential for about 175lbs in the right seat and 50lbs in the back, and with me flying solo, there is more weight capacity than volume even if you pack very efficiently. It was amazing how much stuff I was able to get in there. Even included a Styrofoam cooler, ice and some celebratory beverages for post arrival relaxation.

2hyugs0.jpg

This time, unlike my prior long trips, I decided to fly a more direct route over Lakes Erie and Michigan in part from my greater confidence in the Rotax after 250 uneventful hours. By flying high, in my case 8,500 feet over Lake Erie for example, there are only short stretches of time/distance where I could not likely glide to land in the event of a lost engine. I carry (wear at times) an inflatable life vest, and also sourced a floatable PLB for the trip. The distance of the Lake Michigan crossing clearly carried more risk but its something I felt comfortable to take on.
Anyhow, departed early Saturday AM from N40 (SkyManor NJ) for first leg to Dunkirk PA on the shores of Lake Erie for fuel. Beautiful clear day, just a lot of head winds that kept me low.

a1r4f9.jpg

4t63ya.jpg

al1ca8.jpg

After crossing the lake, this leg brought me across Southern Ontario for about an hour before crossing into Michigan.

200boex.jpg

Interestingly though, I was handed across three different US controllers for that Canadian route. I also had full ADS-B coverage the whole time at 6,500 feet. Crossed back into the US near Port Huron, MI over the St. Claire River. Amazing turquois color - almost looks like the Caribbean.

znmzon.jpg

Watching the weather beyond KOSH on the Skyview, I decided to modify flight plan and push on a little further to Greenville MI for next fuel stop. Plan was to get as close to KOSH as I could, then top off the tank so that if I got turned back I had a lot of options. While ceilings were low, RIPON?arrival was basically uneventful as traffic was light. I guess coming in from the West this afternoon was not an option for many folks. Had choice of 27 and 36.

fwhpfq.jpg

in8g8p.jpg

Managed to land, find a good camping location fairly near the showers and set up my tent etc? just in time for the rain to start! Nothing like showers and thunderstorms all night to welcome you to Oshkosh. Fortunately, that was the worst night of the week for us.

295pruc.jpg

continued...

RV-12 Oshkosh Trip Report? and the unexpected? Part 2

Had planned to take pictures of all the RV-12s I came across but frankly was so busy doing other things I missed many of them. Was very impressed however with the teen builds that were more prominently displayed this year near the homebuilt area. Somebody mentioned that 11 of them were at Oshkosh this year. They were really well built and a lot of the students attended the show. Saw large tables of them at the Van?s banquet on Tue?s evening. What a great program. Did see several other -12s around the field and some RV-12 pilots stopped by my campsite to chat. One flew in from Portland which was pretty impressive.

2s1wsg7.jpg

qxuvld.jpg

dms21y.jpg

2gvu5jt.jpg

Camping actually turned out to be really good. Bucket list, check. Didn?t get as much sleep as I usually have, but waking up in the middle of Oshkosh every morning somehow gives you a special boost of energy.

I don?t know where the week went, but all of a sudden it was Friday morning. We planned to leave early in the day but the weather was not cooperating. Once we were able to taxi for departure the fun began. I think I could drive faster into New York City on a Monday morning in the rain with half of the tunnels closed. After over an hour taxing to 36 we were finally able to depart. The Rotax fuel burn at idle is virtually nil so I didn?t have any issues like some others may have. Ceilings were not ideal but upon nearing the Lake, things improved. I made it as far as St. Clare County Intl, MI (KPHN) this time for fuel and then filed a flight plan for Kingston, Ontario for a quick trip to visit family. But my other motive was to check off another item on the flying bucket list ? flying along the City of Toronto lake shore. Everything clicked this time and the controllers were very accommodating. On previous attempts there were airspace restrictions around Toronto which messed up my plans, but today was the day. Spectacular view ? I could see the images on the large video screen through the open roof of the Skydome just before the Blue Jay?s game started. Exceeded my expectations for sure. I?m adding these pictures to similar ones I?ve taken along the Chicago and New York skylines from my RV-12.

23w9zli.jpg

1s0dw7.jpg

wgzuw2.jpg

eask10.jpg

2jb1els.jpg

n2ho38.jpg

Continued...

RV-12 Oshkosh Trip Report? and the unexpected? Part 3

Had a good but brief visit with my folks, but this is also where flying a small GA aircraft in mid summer is not always reliable. I left mid afternoon Saturday for NJ, with a quick stop in Watertown NY for customs clearance. Only made it another half hour south to Hamilton NY as a nasty storm system engulfed the lower east coast and I just couldn’t take the risk to go any further. This is what the weather looked like on Foreflight. I suspect the airlines were grounded too.

nyv0no.jpg

Decided to stay the night at a local hotel just by the airport but awoke to IFR ceilings, rain and forecasted thunderstorms on Sunday … your basic VFR flying nightmare. No flying today. Fortunately for me, a good friend and RV-7A owner Jim Kahle just back from Oshkosh himself tracked me down and offered to drive up from his cottage in PA and retrieve me (try finding a rental car in the middle of NY state on a Sunday) and bring me back to NJ. Based on the weather, I would have been stranded there at least another day. Later in the week, another great friend (RV-12 pilot Mark Bishoff) brought me back up to retrieve N913BC and finally bring her home.

Despite the delayed arrival back to NJ, this was an incredible and rewarding journey. 1,450 NM, about 60 gallons of fuel, and 17 hours on the Hobbs. Flew over 5 states, 3 great lakes and 2 countries. Who says an RV-12 isn’t a cross country aircraft?

Now for the unexpected. When I arrived at Oshkosh and registered for camping, I agreed to have my aircraft judged. Never did this before but in the back of my mind I’ll confess that I did have dreams of getting some recognition, a ribbon or maybe even a plaque for at least a decent build. Well, day after day judge’s initials appeared on my propeller sign but I didn’t have a whole lot of expectations as there are a whole lot a great aircraft at Oshkosh.

In any case, come Friday morning, just before departing, I received a letter inviting me to attend the Ultralight/LSA awards dinner if I could. Unfortunately, I was just about to leave town. Well, the next day, already part way on my journey home, one of the judges called me up to inform me that I had been awarded a Light Plane Silver Lindy in the LSA & Ultralight class for N913BC. I didn’t appreciate the significance of the Lindy until doing some quick homework. I could hardly believe it until it was posted for real on the EAA website.

So while the trip was clearly a tremendous success already, even with a challenging trip home, I am obviously thrilled to have learned this news and I’m already dreaming of my next RV-12 adventure.

vw84g.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on the Lindy; your plane looks great! And thanks for the trip report. Good inspiration for those of us still pulling rivets!

This year was my 4th trip to OSH by car. I attended the LSA Repairman's Course so I can now do my own ELSA condition inspection. I stuck around on Sunday after the airshow and witnessed the mass exodus - estimate 200+ planes departed on 18L/18R in about 90 minutes. I'm going to begin a year long planning to fly up next year. I have to improve my skills and procedural training significantly. I'll need to cross Lake MI rather than route around Chicago. I'm planning to fly solo in order to allow baggage, but more importantly, I think it best I do this alone the first time for safety.

PilotB - thanks for the inspiration...

Last edited:
Big congratulations on your Lindy. That's quite an accomplishment. Great trip report and great looking airplane.

Congratulations on the Lindy! Somehow I missed your 12 in HBC. It looks like a beauty. I built the yellow and white one with the canopy cover that you included a picture of. I also flew in on Saturday but left the next Saturday. First Oshkosh for this plane, just got flying this year with only 60 hours. Also I see your bungee cord safety. Try my bracket latch handle catch idea under the 12 canopy thread. It works great. At Oshkosh I saw a couple of folks that already cloned it for their 12s too.

Lindy!

this was an incredible and rewarding journey. 1,450 NM, about 60 gallons of fuel, and 17 hours on the Hobbs. Flew over 5 states, 3 great lakes and 2 countries. Who says an RV-12 isn?t a cross country

Good job Brent I am proud of you!

This year was my 4th trip to OSH by car. I attended the LSA Repairman's Course so I can now do my own ELSA condition inspection. I stuck around on Sunday after the airshow and witnessed the mass exodus - estimate 200+ planes departed on 18L/18R in about 90 minutes. I'm going to begin a year long planning to fly up next year. I have to improve my skills and procedural training significantly. I'll need to cross Lake MI rather than route around Chicago. I'm planning to fly solo in order to allow baggage, but more importantly, I think it best I do this alone the first time for safety.

PilotB - thanks for the inspiration...

Jim,

I'm in Columbus and prefer to fly over the lake too, but I wouldn't consider it a need for Ohio pilots. The weather is usually the determining factor. The previous two years you wouldn't want to be anywhere the lake due to the storms.

With that said, the Chicago lakefront route is about a half hour faster than the trip from flying around to the south. If I'm not going over the lake, I fly the lakefront route.

This year on Saturday before the show, over the lake was extreme vfr with not a cloud in site, while everything south of Foud Du Lac was mvfr. Going home on Thursday, you could fly vfr over the lake, but you would be flying about 3,000'. I was ifr and flew over much higher and most of the time in imc until I hit that state up north. (Football does start in a couple weeks, so no mentioning that M word for awhile :D)

Brent,
Congrats on the Silver Lindy, that's a great accomplishment. Jim Kahle and I are cousins, he told me you built a really nice plane. Next time you fly out plan on staying with us in Michigan (Z98).

Gary

Awesome pics - great story. I also made it to OSH for the first time by plane... My C152 from KCCR (SF area). A lot of flight planning to be safe. Next year - hopefully the RV will be done and I'll take it over.

Congrats on the Lindy.

Back