What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is a #8 Phillips Screwdriver>

n518jh

I am a relatively new owner of RV-12 120330 and am reading the Maintenance manual @ 8-4 Tools and one of the items is a #8 Phillips screwdriver. Any help on where I buy one, and what it looks like? I have a whole range of #2 Phillips. Mark

I am a relatively new owner of RV-12 120330 and am reading the Maintenance manual @ 8-4 Tools and one of the items is a #8 Phillips screwdriver. Any help on where I buy one, and what it looks like? I have a whole range of #2 Phillips. Mark

Google is your friend....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-Phillips-Screwdriver-74566/100000076

It relates to screw size.....

Blade width Fastener size
3⁄32 in (2.4 mm) 0?1
1⁄8 in (3.2 mm) 2
5⁄32 in (4.0 mm) 3
3⁄16 in (4.8 mm) 4?5
1⁄4 in (6.4 mm) 6?7
5⁄16 in (7.9 mm) 8?10
3⁄8 in (9.5 mm) 12?14
7⁄16 in (11 mm) 16?18
1⁄2 in (13 mm) 18?24

It would be the biggest Phillips screw driver that any of us have ever seen! :). Ha, that would be a fun project to machine a #8 Phillips, complete with a injection molded handle.

Welcome to VAF!

Mark, welcome to VAF.

I suspect that is a typo....................

Biggest Phillips I have ever seen is a #4.

Good to have you aboard:D

Buy a good one. I use Klein, or snap-on is good, among others. Read some reviews. My tool set in the shop and at the hangar are craftsman because they are cheap and work ok. But my Phillips screwdrivers are Klein. Most don't really fit or grip the head properly. And you can carefully use a good power driver with a clutch and good bits.

Never worried about the number. Just used "good engineering judgement". -- those of us who are engineers can stroke our beards and nod sagely!

A #2 Phillips will cover pretty much everything on your -12

I think the #8 can be used to hand crank the Rotax engine. You just tie some rope from the skid plate to the airport fence, jump out and twist the prop with a #8 phillips :)

Jeff

Buy a good one. I use Klein, or snap-on is good, among others. Read some reviews. My tool set in the shop and at the hangar are craftsman because they are cheap and work ok. But my Phillips screwdrivers are Klein. Most don't really fit or grip the head properly. And you can carefully use a good power driver with a clutch and good bits.

Also take a look at Wiha Phillips head. German made, but not too pricey. Best I have ever used. Really great for those over-torqued or corroded fasteners where you really don't want to cam out. Well worth the price, if it saves you having to reach for the EZ out screw remover.

Not all equal

After building my first 7 and muddling through with what I thought was a good collection of tools, I broke down and bought a very complete set of Craftsman tools and a great big tool cabinet. Much better. But wait, there's more.

A friend and fellow RV builder (Ron Moring), was chastising me in a friendly manner when he was visiting. He was asking why I didn't have a "good" set of screw drivers and explained that Snap-On had the best. I didn't think much of it but a few days later a box arrived and low and behold was an 8 piece set of Snap-On screw drivers.

Now I know the difference. I will not use anything else!!! The bazillion of the #8 screws we use in our RV's mate perfectly with the Snap-On Phillips. I'm sure there are other high quality tools out there but these are far superior to the Craftsman or any other I've used.

Do yourself a favor and at least get a high quality set of screw drivers. You won't regret it!!

#8 Phillips

They probably mean a Phillips for a #8 screw.

The correct Phillips for a #8 screw is a #2 Phillips.

Joe

They probably mean a Phillips for a #8 screw.

The correct Phillips for a #8 screw is a #2 Phillips.

Joe
Well, actually, if we are to talk in the actual technical lingo the screw would be an 8-32 and the #2 Phillips screwdriver fits into the head of such a screw.

This brings to mind communication issues associated with engineer types. The engineer wants precise measurements to the Nth degree and wants to talk in specifics about clearances and measurements but doesn't want to be bothered with using correct words when talking about such clearances and measurements. On more than one occasion on this forum I have had someone say to me "well, as long the word is close to what it should be, I can figure out what you meant". To me that is like saying "well, even though you said to use an AN3-6 bolt, I understood what you really meant to say was use an AN3-10 bolt". Now would that really ever be OK? :p

Never even saw this thread until I searched the forum for the word, "Wiha". I flew down to TX this past weekend to visit Walt for a IFR cert, and he asked me to remove the top cowl so he could hook up ground power to the plane. I asked if he had a Phillips screwdriver handy, and he handed me a Wiha brand screwdriver.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I've used a variety of Craftsman, Klein, and others the whole time I built my plane. But with the Wiha, there was absolutely NO tendency to cam out and for the first time ever I didn't have to "push" hard on the screwdriver while applying torque. When I got home I promptly purchased a bunch of Wiha drivers online. It's stupid to be excited about screwdrivers, but I am now!

Back