What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting advise please

WayneJ

Just finished the inventory and parts organization/storage of my fuse kit. Things are looking a little more complex here than with the empennage and wings. The number of nut plates and solid rivets in this kit has really gotten my attention. I have been using a pneumatic pop rivet puller and a Cleaveland Tools Main Squeeze for the solid rivets. The Main Squeeze is a great tool but given the number of solid rivets in the fuselage kit I'm considering a Pneumatic or HydroPneumatic squeezer to speed things along. The ability to squeeze a rivet with one hand on the tool and the other holding the assembly seems to me like a worthwhile investment. Two hands on the manual squeezer is a little clumsy.

It may seem a little late in the build to invest in an expensive tool but the time savings is an attractive benefit to me. I am also hoping to find some input on the Cleaveland Aircraft Tool hydro pneumatic system or "SqueezeBox". They have just released the latest and greatest upgrades to the tools and it looks good although pricey.

Although certainly not a "got to have it tool", I found mine was very nice to have on the big rivets at least.
You can look at another way, buy one, then sell it. There seems to be a constant market for them, and used ones are often available.

Squeezer

Wayne, you will get a variety of opinions on this.

I built my RV6 and RV12 using a "Tatco" squeezer - a tool far inferior to the "main squeeze". One thing that helped me was to, whenever possible, use a clamp of some kind as that third hand to hold the piece. I have come to love clamps in the pursuit of this hobby.

My thought is that the power squeezer is best when you have to do a large number of the same rivets over the same thickness. I did not find those situations in building the RV12.

I have a Main Squeeze, a Tatco squeezed, and a pneumatic riveter. I like the Tatco better than the Main Squeeze for most manual squeezing. The Main Squeeze can apply more force but it is harder to operate single handed when you are working alone. The pneumatic squeezer is not a must have but it does make things go a lot faster on some jobs. The weight of the tool is a downside and it is difficult to get the same level of control as with the Tatco. Earlier on I would hand squeeze many rivets that I now use the pneumatic squeezed on. I developed my technique and it is much faster now.

I personally think the pneumatic squeezed should be on the must have list but I too resisted early on due to the cost. Look around for a deal and bite the bullet. You'll be happy you did.

Ditto on all the "go ahead and buy it" advice. I've done all mine with the Main Squeeze (great tool!) which is another "must have", but it'll be MUCH easier to hold the work steady using the pneumo squeezer. Hey, any excuse to buy another tool! Resell it and you wont lose much.

Wayne

Use the search to see my post, "Improvements to the Avery Rivet Squeezer"

This will allow you to set the rivet tool on the bench and operate the tool with one hand.

I will send you a private message with more details.

You do not need a pneumatic squeezer if you have normal hand function. ABSOLUTELY learn to anchor the main squeeze vertically in a frame or in a vise for easier operation on things like nutplates. Great trick!

Wayne, the pneumatic squeezer rules. It is worth every dime it costs. You will wonder why you did not buy it earlier.

Hand Squeezer necessary?

OK, I have the opposite question. I'm working on an RV-6, fuse has majoror work done (it was QB), wings next (SB). I have a 3X gun and a pneumatic squeezer. Do I need a hand squeezer too? Opinions please!

I haven't started the fuse yet. It, the wings and finish kits ship on the - 26th I hope. I have a manual squeezer but haven't used it yet. The pneumatic rules. It's our second favorite tool next to the good pull riveter.

We wouldn't be without it! Not only that but it literally increased in value since I bought it 10 years ago.

Bob

Last edited:
We have the hydro-pneumatic squeezer as well as an Avery, a Tasco, and a main squeeze in our arsenal ( 3 of us). We all love the hydro squeezer. Its fast, accurate, and easier on my hands. Like everything else, there are trade offs. But overall we are very pleased. (Going to adapt one to the DRDT-2). My first rivet on my 7A tail was done with the hydro squeezer.
Tom

Tom
You say there are trade offs.
Can you elaborate.
I guess I am asking for your opinion on pros and cos of hydro-pneumatic unit.
John

Rivet Tool

I am putting the finishing touches on my 12 and only have the Cleveland Tool hand squeezer. Most of the parts I was able to put in a woodworking vise mounted on the side of a work bench. This way I could use both hands on the tool and it worked fine. I would say you don't need a pneumatic tool but if you want one have at it.

Paul Eeds
No 120506

I had an Avery hand squeeze tool and bought an Avery pneumatic squeezer when I got my fuselage kit. I never regretted the decision and never looked back. Installing nutplates with it is pure fun!

Spark I used a pneumatic squeezer on my RV6. It seems heavy to start with but after a while I was using it in one hand while steadying the work with the other. I think it would have taken me at least twice as long to do the job with a hand squeezer, and I could not have done some of the larger rivets by hand. So - no, I wouldn't buy a hand squeezer in your situation.

My husband sold my pneumatic squeezer when the RV6 was finished.
Not long into the RV 12 project, I bought a new pneumatic squeezer :)

Back