What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Expo in June '14

DaveWelch

Well Known Member
Rec'd an email from Vans yesterday about this. Haven't seen it on their website yet.

Just spoke with Carol @ Rainbow Aviation. Sounds like Van's is going all out to make this a worthwhile event.

I signed up for the Repairman and Rotax courses. Will try to do Transition training also while there since the plane will (finally) be about ready to fledge.

Looking forward to getting acquainted with all who can attend! May want to consider sharing a house to reduce expenses?

Dave

We are going to drive up since the airplane is not finished yet.

SunRiver is a nice resort area with lots to do.

We rented a condo thou Vacation Rentals By Owner: http://www.vrbo.com/

Should be lots of fun and we are looking forward to meeting a lot of builders.

See ya all there.

Rec'd an email from Vans yesterday about this. Haven't seen it on their website yet.

Just spoke with Carol @ Rainbow Aviation. Sounds like Van's is going all out to make this a worthwhile event.

I signed up for the Repairman and Rotax courses. Will try to do Transition training also while there since the plane will (finally) be about ready to fledge.

Looking forward to getting acquainted with all who can attend! May want to consider sharing a house to reduce expenses?

Dave

I am going stag (might be able to talk wife into going if the weather is nice)..would be interested in sharing cost of lodging. I likewise am taking the Repairman and Rotax courses.

Ric Dickison
208-762-7650

Last edited:
Wife coming?

If the weather is nice? C'mon, I saw the pictures <grin>. My wife Ellen is coming, she'll find things to do and have fun regardless. I was surprised at first that she did'nt plan a run to the grandkids, but we both like to get out west when we can. And besides, those Sunriver pix are so gorgeous!

I did just a little "shopping around" and could not find another similar event or offering that combined all the courses and transition training in one trip.

Dave

If the weather is nice? C'mon, I saw the pictures <grin>. My wife Ellen is coming, she'll find things to do and have fun regardless. I was surprised at first that she did'nt plan a run to the grandkids, but we both like to get out west when we can. And besides, those Sunriver pix are so gorgeous!

I did just a little "shopping around" and could not find another similar event or offering that combined all the courses and transition training in one trip.

Dave

Hey Dave....the wife is bending (don't ask me how many honey-do's)...she's coming!

More the Merrier!

Glad to hear it Ric!

Carol sent me your email. She's going to build a contact list of all the attendees so that those interested can coordinate to share lodging.

She said that other times they've been there a number of students shared a house and saved a bunch vs. hotels and restaurant expenses.

Either way it'll be valuable training and fun to meet some of the gang we've become acquainted with in these forums.

Dave

Joe,
Looking forward to seeing you there also. The "community enthusiasm" seems a bit slow to build, maybe I'm just easily excited! We're scheduled to receive our engine tomorrow and hope to be close to test flying around the time of the expo, so timing looks very good.

Carol @ Rainbow Aviation has sent a worksheet/contact list for course attendees to fill out (if willing) so maybe some of us can coordinate to share a condo and save some expense. My wife Ellen loves to cook for a crowd and is looking forward to exploring the area while I'm in class.

If anyone is concerned about information privacy in regard to Rainbow's "Google List" (I'm a little dubious myself) send me a PM and I'll attempt some group coordination via VAF.

Regards, Dave.

RV-12 Expo Accommodation

Don't know anyone in the US of A - but seriously considering making the trip from Australia via Aurora to check out the birthplace and then a drive to Sunriver.

Not sure about the digs apart from a single at the lodge although I believe Sunset Lodge have a pay 2 nights and get 2 nights free deal going.

Test flying "Rivets" (VH-ULL) at present. Going well so far.

John

Hello JonJon...

If you decide to come up (around?) from DownUnder, tell the folks at Rainbow Aviation to add you to their list of folks who are attending. We're considering renting a house in the Bend Oregon area (about 13 miles from Sun River) or perhaps closer if affordable, to share expenses and camaraderie during the week.
My co-pilot Ellen is coming as well. She loves to cook for a crowd and plans on playing tourist while we are in class.
We'll look forward to seeing you at the Expo in any case.
Best Regards,
Dave Welch

Lodging for "1" attending both lsa maint. & engine course

Has anyone firmed up lodging who has an extra bedroom they would like to rent to defer costs? My wife has decided not to come....so I'll be baching it for the Expo. Would share cooking duties.....I'm a killer bbq-er....

Edit: I decided to check on available rentals....found one near the Expo Center; a two bedroom-two bath unit with full kitchen and living room. As I only need one of the bedrooms....the other bedroom/bath is available. The total cost is $700 for 6 nights (16th thru 21st...leaving Sunday am). That equals a shared expense of $59.00 a night....can't stay at Motel 6 for that price! Give me a e-mail ([email protected]) if interested and I'll send you a link for the accommodations to checkout.

Last edited:
Extra Bedroom available?

Ric,
The email I sent you kicked back.
We'll take your extra bedroom if still available.
Let me know soonest, Thanks!
Dave

Ric,
The email I sent you kicked back.
We'll take your extra bedroom if still available.
Let me know soonest, Thanks!
Dave

Dave,

I've already got a fellow to share the unit.. Suggest you get the link from Carol at Rainbow Aviation for the spreadsheet of attendee's...there you will find individuals wanting to share accommodations.

lodging

Dave,

I've already got a fellow to share the unit.. Suggest you get the link from Carol at Rainbow Aviation for the spreadsheet of attendee's...there you will find individuals wanting to share accommodations.

OK, will do. I tried getting it once, no joy.
Will persist and see you out there.
We still want some of that BBQ! <grin>

Dave

Almost forgot to ask, how did you find your rental?

Last edited:
OK, will do. I tried getting it once, no joy.
Will persist and see you out there.
We still want some of that BBQ! <grin>

Dave

Almost forgot to ask, how did you find your rental?

Called the Sunriver agency suggested on the Expo web page (800-541-1756) they have several other rentals....but going fast. It's a go on the bbq....hope you like ribs (in flight school--mine were voted best!!!

Last edited:
Back