What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parts count

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
In reading the story of the Dubai RV12, they claimed they put together 11,000 parts to build it. That got me to thinking.
I often recount to visitors that I had to pull 12,500 rivets to build it, but that was based on the original box of rivets, not to include the extra ones that I bought, nor the solid rivets even.
Has anyone ever actually counted the total of pieces needed to complete an RV12, starting with the LP4-3 rivet count?

Don,

Chapter 3 provides a complete (?) parts list. This list is 7 pages long.

Fasteners like rivets, nuts, bolts, cotter pins, screws, and bolts are mostly extra.

-Dave

I was amazed by the story of the kids in New Zealand that built a 12 using 30,000+ rivets. I can't imagine where they put them all.

I think remembering the number gets into some foggy area. That is what caused me to find out if anyone had a total count of rivets AND parts.
I was amazed by the story of the kids in New Zealand that built a 12 using 30,000+ rivets. I can't imagine where they put them all.

15,000?

I figure 12,500 original LP4-3 plus half the additional 1000 I bought. There are at least 2000 other pulled and squeezed rivets (two of the latter for every one of those &^^%$!!! nutplates) so 15K is a pretty conservative estimate.

After finishing the wings I counter the rivets in the upper side of one wing, multiplied that by four, and estimated the number of rivets used to attach the ribs to the spars and came up with a very conservative 5000 for the wings alone. Very few nutplates there, either!

What can I say? I'm an engineer!

Wayne 120241/143WM

Back