What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 wing kit purchase

ben barron

Well Known Member
Patron
I am 80% through my fuselage kit build and about to order the finishing kit. I was considering buying the wing kit at the same time to save inflation and transportation costs (driving from Seattle to Aurora to pick up the kits). Do you see any drawbacks? Is there any opportunity someone out there bought a wing kit and stopped, wanting to sell the wing and how would I find that guy?

Ben,

The main downside is that the box for the wing spars is 16' long and can be difficult to store so it is out of the way. I ended up making a shelf in the rafters from the wing spar crate and storing the wing spars in the rafters of the shop.

I think I enjoyed building the wings more than anything else so far.

Lotsa luck.

Do you see any drawbacks? Is there any opportunity someone out there bought a wing kit and stopped, wanting to sell the wing and how would I find that guy?

If going ELSA, better check with Vans. Not sure they would forward documents to you if you do not purchase the wing kit from them.

I bought all the airframe kits at once. My reasoning was that I would not have to worry about accommodating changes unless they impacted safety. It turned out to be a nonissue except for the avionics. I ended up as one of the last D180 RV-12s. The benefit of that is I avoided the harness conversion and Skyview teething issues, but the downside is I don't have the Skyview.

Back