What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS and Dynon EFIS

Taltruda

Well Known Member
Friend
My -4 has a Dynon D-10a with pitch and roll autopilot, and also has a GRT EIS engine monitor. If I were to upgrade to a large screen Dynon, would there be any compatibility with my current GRT sensors? Or would I have to change all the thermocouples to work with the Dynon?
The other option would be to install a large screen GRT unit to keep the engine monitoring, but then I’m not sure if the Dynon autopilot servos would work with the GRT,,

My -4 has a Dynon D-10a with pitch and roll autopilot, and also has a GRT EIS engine monitor. If I were to upgrade to a large screen Dynon, would there be any compatibility with my current GRT sensors? Or would I have to change all the thermocouples to work with the Dynon?
The other option would be to install a large screen GRT unit to keep the engine monitoring, but then I’m not sure if the Dynon autopilot servos would work with the GRT,,

This is a good question for Dynon support. I would recommend giving them a call.

Your existing engine sensors may be compatible with the Dynon EMS, but Dynon would have to validate that. Unless somebody else here has already done the same conversion.

The Dynon servos won’t work with a GRT EFIS for many reasons. Download the Dynon manuals and read up on the SV-Network and the functionality it provides. Almost all of the Dynon devices connect to the Dynon EFIS through the SV-Network.

If you are talking about using older Dynon servos that you may have attached to you D-10a, I would also give Dynon support a call. Dynon had a older autopilot solution that is different than the solution being sold today.

In general, it’s not advisable to mix and match components from different vendors. You may get them to work, but then to you just took the support role for the integration. The first issue that pops up, you’re likely to get a vendor pointing the finger at the other vendors device as the root cause of the issue and vice versa.

Sometimes the same is true with older products from the same vendor. Sometimes with newer technology, it isn’t always backwards compatible with older products.

My opinion is that Dynon has a better suite of offerings than GRT. I would give Dynon a call and ask them what’s the best path to upgrade your existing panel to their current products.

In general, the thermocouples should be compatible with both systems IF both systems use the same type (type J or type K). Some vendors mix and match, with EGT and CHT being different. To further complicate matters, some vendors support both and have a software setting to tell the monitor which type is plugged in, while others only support one (but will read the other type, just with wrong numbers).

Did an panel upgrade a couple of years ago to dual SkyView HDX. The GRT engine sensors were reused.

Note - the GRT fuel flow sender is different than the “red cube”. Just remember to use the same scaling factor of the GRT sender in your SkyView EMS settings.

Carl

Did an panel upgrade a couple of years ago to dual SkyView HDX. The GRT engine sensors were reused.

Note - the GRT fuel flow sender is different than the “red cube”. Just remember to use the same scaling factor of the GRT sender in your SkyView EMS settings.

Carl

Ummm... I think this might not be quite correct. The Dynon system has in the past typically used a Floscan sensor while the GRT has always worked with the Red Cube.

Not sure Floscan is still available but it is what GRT sold in past , I have one that is perfectly running I might add for 13 years. GRT does sell /support the red cube today. I have friends with Dynon, who all have a red cubes. 🤷🏼

Back