What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 12 fuel line

Fastwind

For you RV-12ers

I recently bought a used Searey with a Rotax 912 Engine. The fuel lines are rather old and I am going to replace them. They have some form of Gates fuel lines that appear to be from the auto parts store, which is probably OK for this application. Since the 912 can use 100LL or "Car Gas" (MOGAS) 93 Octane what is the recommended fuel line for this engine?

Also it should be considered that if you are buying 93 octane from the gas station or marina in the case of the amphibious Searey it is only a matter of time until you accidentally and unknowingly encounter "alcohol contamination". So it seems whatever line is used should be alcohol tolerant, even if the engine and other components of the fuel system are not.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Rotax originaly had rubber hoses, and alot of aircraft have/had them. With the various new additives in the fuel, we know that some can deteriorate the rubber line and create problems. But with the variety of airframes using the Rotax engines, it made sense at the time to use push on rubber hoses and clamps. Rotax simply could NOT design a FWF hose package for every scenario.
They have since gone to teflon in some cases, but not all , and generally just on the carburetor hoses.

As Joe aluded to, we do make Rotax engine hoses from teflon. Not supposed to be cheap--you already have that, but quality, reliable assemblies that arent governed by a 5 year replacement guideline. So pricey, has a way of becoming less expensive over the long run! Check some Rotax distributors and see what some of their assemblies cost, and I think you'll see that we have a great value.

Hi Tom. Thanks for the good info. FYI I spoke with Steve today and he said that he had "teamed up" with you.

If you can make your fuel system more reliable at any price it is a good deal : )

Back