What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Flush/Overhaul after Engine OH?

flyboycpa

Hey all,

My O-360 s#it the bed and is off getting a major overhaul now. It left quite a few metal parts in the oil screen and throughout the engine. Not good.

Either way, I probably know the answer, but just seeking confirmation and opinions on the subject.

Given that the engine became a metal factory, I'm assuming it's the right time to send the oil cooler out for overhaul/test/flush, etc.. I'm really only asking since once the engine comes back from OH, it will continue to make metal for a number of hours while rings and other parts complete the break-in process. Is it smarter to A) flush & overhaul oil cooler now; B) not worry about it until after new engine is broken-in; or C) do it twice..once now and again after the break-in is complete.

NOTE: This engine only has an oil screen (no oil filter)

Thoughts??

thanks,
Sam Swift

Last edited:
Hey all,

My O-360 s#it the bed and is off getting a major overhaul now. It left quite a few metal parts in the oil screen and throughout the engine. Not good.

Either way, I probably know the answer, but just seeking confirmation and opinions on the subject.

Given that the engine became a metal factory, I'm assuming it's the right time to send the oil cooler out for overhaul/test/flush, etc.. I'm really only asking since once the engine comes back from OH, it will continue to make metal for a number of hours while rings and other parts complete the break-in process. Is it smarter to A) flush & overhaul oil cooler now; B) not worry about it until after new engine is broken-in; or C) do it twice..once now and again after the break-in is complete.

NOTE: This engine only has an oil screen (no oil filter)

Thoughts??

thanks,
Sam Swift

Definately have it flushed, especially with known debris in the oil. One of the many shortcomings of the lycoming engine is that the oil flows to the cooler before the filter. Any debris larger than the passages in the cooler will create clogged or partially clogged passages. This a real problem for carbon debris from blow by or coarse metallic material, but not as much for fine metal material.

Larry

Last edited:
I had a similar situation with my engine. I contacted the cooler manufacturer and was told that there was no real way to ensure complete removal of the metal particles from the cooler due to the way they are manufactured. Maybe just a way to sell another cooler but considering the cost of the engine vs the cost of a cooler I just bought a new one. Better safe than sorry I figured. FWIW.

Al

See if you can get access to an ultrasonic cleaner of sufficient size.

Not guaranteed, but it will do better than simple flushing/reverse flushing.

There was an article in Kitplanes some years back regarding a tour of Pacific, I believe. I forget the details but they explained the position on poor results from cleaning.

FWIW

Let the pros do it, send it to Pacific oil coolers. There is no way you can duplicate what they do in the field. Your new engine won?t like it something departs the cooler after you spend all that money
Tim Andres

My experience

My experience with race cars is that the cooler should be replaced if metal has gone through it. But I am not an expert on airplanes, but it also seems more critical on a plane. JMHO

I have worked on Porsche cars since 1969. Had my own shop for 39 years. In the workshop manual it states to replace cooler if it has metal running through it. I have used Pacific oil coolers for years for minor debris ie carbon but you will not get all the metal out. Get a new cooler and full flow filter. You will sleep better. Why take a chance.

Bob Grigsby
J3 flying
RV3B close

I ended up ordering a new one from Pacific Oil Coolers. $834, but I guess that?s the cost for peace of mind.

My mind was more made up when I flushed the lines and a fair amount of metal came out.

Thanks for the replies,
Sam

Back