camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Default Additions and Mods to 19-8519

Modifications.
? Battery base tray. (As per RGMWA)
? Tail cone F-1208 former side packers (.045? each side) to pack skin out.
? Under belly fuel drain (Directly off the fuel outlet of the tank as per Forum)
? Fuel tank fitting Anti-rotation tabs on fuel return and Fuel tank vent fittings
? Park brake valve and actuator cable
? Common earth block for return of all earths.
? Additional seat back adjustment hinge
? 3 blade whirlwind propeller
? Whirlwind 9? spinner using vans front plate and new spacers
? Double USB power supply outlet and circuit breaker protection
? Additional cowl pins for horizontal cowl attachment hinge at the fire wall
? Fuel vent system (prior to Vans vent mod release.)
? Baggage compartment floor and back wall modification, as per (RGMWA)
? Electric fuel pump isolation switch
? Alternator low charge warning light
? Strobe light fitted to Fin fibreglass cap.
? Additional landing light in port wing
? Dual light wig wag module for land lights to make aircraft more visible in the circuit
? Contour Camera mount fitted to roof support in the baggage area
? Audio input for camera
? Engine coolant hoses changed to silicone hoses
? Lower hose has an integrated anti collapse spring moulded into the hose (No restriction to coolant flow)
? 130? Alloy bend added to top hose to provide better routing and no chafing of hose
? Quick drain valve added to engine Oil reservoir tank
? Oil cooler cowl modification as per Forum mod to move cooler 1? forward away from muffler
? Baggage area tie down bracket at rear of baggage area and two baggage area front tie down brackets
? Additional fittings (1 vent and 1 fill) with self sealing fittings added to fuel tank front access plate for auxiliary fuel supply (when flying one up long distance.)
? Press studs fitted to fuselage to hold removable rear window protector sheet for use when filling fuel tank
? Plastic Protector sheet with press studs for window protection when refuelling.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:12 AM

Default Headrests

The RV-12 has a 5 point harness, which should provide excellent body restraint against forward movement in the event of a sudden stop. However, in an impact, your head will typically be thrown forward and then back. So what happens then? It didn't take me long to discover that the back of my head would hit the bottom edge of the rear canopy frame and roll bar, probably with enough force to do some serious damage. While I'm not planning to crash, it got me wondering whether I could install some headrests to improve my survival chances and add some extra passenger comfort on long trips.

Anyway, this is what I came up with. A lucky purchase of two`leather' Subaru headrests from eBay - not an exact colour match with the rest of the upholstery, but certainly good enough for amateur work (it actually looks worse in the photo than in real life), plus a couple of brackets to hold it all in place.

I used a much heavier angle on the top of the seat back to take the major impact load, and the back of the seatback has been beefed up to restrain the base of the headrest. The bottom clips and rubber grommets allow easy vertical adjustment while holding everything securely in place. I did some rough calcs to get some idea of the likely impact forces, but it's mostly design by the TLAR method and using materials I had on hand. Each headrest weighs 1.9lbs, so all up I've added about 4lbs, which is fine by me. I now have 2.5" of good padding between me and the rear canopy frame, which is somewhat flexible, and another inch or so gap to the roll bar, which is not.

I'm pleased with the result. To finish things off, I'll ask Abby at Flightline to make up some vinyl pieces to fit on the top of the seatback and velcro to the top backrest flap.

Last edited by rgmwa : 03-21-2015 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Photo added
Old 10-13-2014, 12:05 PM

Smile RV-12 Mods

RV-12 I'm using a Viking engine(Honda a/c convertion)with a Whirlwind GA-RW3B 3 blade prop. Also going with a Dual Dynon 10" touch screen panel
Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 AM

Default COOLANT RADIATOR BAFFLE

This radiator baffle is quickly and easily attached or removed by pushing the hinge pins down and out of the hooks.
Blocking the air flow through the upper portion of the radiator keeps the coolant hotter and cabin heat warmer.

I used similar hooks to prevent the bottom cowl hinge pins from coming out.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:34 AM

Here's a nifty flaperon lock from Robert Melis.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...9&postcount=14
Old 03-19-2015, 11:06 AM

One relocation of the voltage regulator blast tube source, to the radiator duct instead. If you read the entire thread, some measurements indicate that in ground operations, the original location taking off from the cylinder fin shroud does not produce much airflow during ground operations.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...1&postcount=36
Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 AM

In this post, a replacement Ducatti voltage regulator for the RV12 is also relocated to inside the radiator duct for better cooling. Instead of relocating to inside the cabin. The same could be done with the OEM regulator.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...7&postcount=26
Old 03-21-2015, 04:22 PM

Default Ducati Voltage Regulator Relocation

After many failures of the Ducatti Voltage Rectifier/Regulator due to overheating VANS decided to relocate it inside the cockpit to improve the cooling. I decided that a better option was to relocate it inside the cooling tunnel. Here are in a few pictures the steps I took to achieve the relocation:

The components I used, an Al angle 2X2 1/8" thick with one side cut to 1"wide and a counterplate also 1" wide:

Cuts in the fiberglass of the tunnel:

Regulator secured on the angle:

Regulator installed inside the lower cowl's tunnel:

Lower Cowl in place with Regulator connected including a ground cable:

The ground cable goes to the battery housing:

As I decided to leave the initial connector untouched, I connected the extension I made to reach the tunnel with spade connectors but I had to secure the spade connectors with tie-wraps or risk a damaging disconnection of the alternator. On the picture you can see the stand-by Regulator located at the initial location on the firewall. In case of failure of the active located in the tunnel this standby unit can be switched into active by disconnecting the failed unit and reconnecting the standby.

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114
Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 PM

This post is another installation of a replacement RV12 regulator, and a different air source for a larger cooling tube. http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/20...regulator.html
Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM

Another modification of air flow to the voltage regulator blast tube.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...7&postcount=70