Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2021, 09:17 AM

This is what I've read some where, it's because the oil filter has a by pass system in it in case of a clogged filter the unfiltered oil will now go into the engine, to prevent this the oil temp has to ne at least 120 F to be thin enough NOT to cause the by pass to open...I sincerely believe that no serious harm was done to the engine as long as the occurance did not happen right after starting and there was no warm up period or was done on an extremely cold day...call Lockwood Aviation, they are the resident experts on the Rotax.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:04 PM

There are threethings that I think your friend should check first in the engine.

1. the oil pressure at idle and at standard operating temperature should be within range, lower would indicate (in most cases) bearing wear etc.

2. if pressure is good then a differential compression test should be run

3. send away an oil sample to get an understanding of particles in the oil.

Those tests will give a basic understanding of engine health
Old 09-29-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
call Lockwood Aviation, they are the resident experts on the Rotax.
They are AMONG the experts on Rotax. Also Brett Lawton at LEAF and Brian Carpenter at Rainbow Aviation. Also Ronny Smith in Mississippi.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
This is what I've read some where, it's because the oil filter has a by pass system in it in case of a clogged filter the unfiltered oil will now go into the engine, to prevent this the oil temp has to ne at least 120 F to be thin enough NOT to cause the by pass to open...I sincerely believe that no serious harm was done to the engine as long as the occurance did not happen right after starting and there was no warm up period or was done on an extremely cold day...call Lockwood Aviation, they are the resident experts on the Rotax.
I took the Rotax maintenance and service courses with Lockwood some years back and I can confirm the limitation is to prevent bypassing the filter when the oil is thicker whilst cold. It is mentioned somewhere in Rotax's documentation somewhere but I can't remember where.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshonsk View Post
I took the Rotax maintenance and service courses with Lockwood some years back and I can confirm the limitation is to prevent bypassing the filter when the oil is thicker whilst cold. It is mentioned somewhere in Rotax's documentation somewhere but I can't remember where.
I took the Lockwood IRMT class as well and can confirm that this this the reason they give.
RV-12 Flying
Old 09-30-2021, 02:00 AM

All this talk about the oil bypassing the filter when cold… Where is the harm in that? So, the oil bypasses the filter for a few minutes to improve circulation when oil is cold and engine is warming up. The oil is clean and filtered from previous flight. When the engine is warm the oil flows through the filter again. Sounds pretty good to me.

Consider old Continental A65-8 with just a course oil screen and no filter...
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 10-01-2021, 11:14 PM

I’ll take a stab at that, Jim. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump so flow rate through the pump is constant for a given RPM. If the bypass valve comes open that bypass flow is not going through the engine. While it may not be starving the bearings, it is definitely less flow than the design is intended to provide at that RPM.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:07 AM

The internal oil filter bypass valve is designed to prevent damage to the spin-on filter itself. If oil flow through the filter element is restricted the bypass valve opens to prevent over-pressurization of the sheet metal filter housing and possible rupture. Oil is still flowing through the spin-on filter cartridge at the same rate only not through the filter media itself. Once the oil pump pressurizes the oil galleries in the engine it doesn’t matter if the oil filter element is being bypassed – oil is still flowing at the same volume to all lubrication points.

The oil pressure, typically 50 psig at cruise and normal operating temperature, is an indication of how well the sleave bearings are able to retain oil. Worn sleave bearings will flow more oil and thus pressure will be lower.
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 10-04-2021, 09:42 AM

Follow up -

I was away on vacation so didn't get involved in the discussion much.....

I will add my opinion that I doubt that one engine start over speed event did any damage that would cause it to start making unusual noises.

If is did, engines would regularly be being damaged because people do it all the time.

If there are new noises that aren't normal, I would be looking for a different cause.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-05-2021, 06:05 AM

He was able to speak with a Rotax expert, who had him do some testing, pulling the engine through,… We think it’s ok. The rough running turned out to be some fouling of the front plugs we believe. All good.

Thanks for all the replies and info.

Tim