What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Audio Jacks - Need to Be tightened?

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
It appears that my audio jacks for the headset on my RV-12 are loose causing weird noises and one connector to not seat all the way (bounces back about 1/8in, guessing wires wrapped around it).

What is the easiest way to gain access to these to tighten? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Definitely won’t be easy to reach, unless you, or someone you know, has small hands, but you’ll have to remove the seat ramp to gain access.

Attachments

• 0312DA0A-AAF0-4EFC-B991-AADC23B92E96.jpeg
    0312DA0A-AAF0-4EFC-B991-AADC23B92E96.jpeg
    717.8 KB · Views: 190
RV12

On the legacy RV12 access is by a panel on the fuselage side. The wings have to be removed. Access is tight.

When you retighten the jacks be sure to observe the proper use of the plastic insulating "shoulder" washers.

Try This: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/jackhack_11-18305.php

11-18305a.jpg

A common cause of loose jacks is failure of the builder to follow the assembly step that has you reduce the height of the shoulder on the center of the bottom insulator using fine sand paper.
The panels that they mount in are not very thick and the insulator as supplied has a shoulder that is taller than the panel thickness.
If this dimension isn't reduced, the jack will still rotate in the panel even if the nut is fully tightened.

Following the plans is always a good thing. I too have the Jack Hack from Spruce and found it very handy to secure the headset jacks.

Headset jack nut tightening

I had the same problem with my RV-12 and found out that if I put a closed needle nose plier into the jack hole and then pulled the handles apart that it would hold the jack from turning.
Just keep the outward pressure on them and slowly tighten the nut.
It worked great for me and they haven't loosened yet.
You could also grind the outside of the needle nose to get more surface contact inside the jack and keep it from slipping.

Back