What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator bellcrank redesigned?

roee

Well Known Member
I received my fuse in April 2005, and my DWG 26 is revision R2. Is there a newer one?

I was going to re-do my elevator bellcrank because it had some problems (including side-to-side slop in the bearing, pretty common I hear). But when I went to order the F-635A bellcrank halves from Van's website, it said they've been replaced by a new part F-635 (no 'A'). Looking up F-635, the comment says "ELEV.BELLCRANK 1 REQ". Does that mean one required instead of two? I'm guessing there was a major redesign of the elevator bellcrank?

Anyhow, I'd be interested to know how the design has changed, so I can build the new one.

Anyone who recently received their fuse kit, or otherwise has the newer design, could you please post a photo of your bellcrank or bellcrank parts? Or even better yet, a photo or scan of the plans (DWG 26 recent version) showing the elevator bellcrank assembly?

Much appreciated!
-Roee

I received my fuse kit in December '06 and my Dwg 26 is at rev 2 like yours. According to the drawing it looks like F-635 is the entire bellcrank assembly. F-635A are each of the two halves. Van's probably just sells the entire assembly.

I can't say with absolute certainty but I think it is a part that was upgraded with the fully prepunched RV-8 fuselage.
I think the part is now supplied with two halves and the required spacer, joined to each other. Break apart the three parts, deburr, and rivet.

That's why it only calls for one part (#) needed. (I Think)

"Play and flex less" elevator bellcranck

Although this is an old thread it is the closest I could find for sharing my modified design of the elevator bellcranck I have had in our RV9A for some time.
I have done a short video explaining the "play and flex less" bellcranck. Can be found here: http://youtu.be/IsWWdozsP2c

Thanks for sharing...

Although this is an old thread it is the closest I could find for sharing my modified design of the elevator bellcranck I have had in our RV9A for some time.
I have done a short video explaining the "play and flex less" bellcranck. Can be found here: http://youtu.be/IsWWdozsP2c

Thanks for sharing this video. On my recent condition inspection I noticed some side to side slop in my elevator bellcrank. Nothing I felt is a safety of flight yet but something I will probably address on the next condition inspection. Do you have video of the new bellcrank installed with you putting side to side pressure on it to show the difference?

No “after” video available...sorry

Unfortunately not.....and I can’t offer to do one for the foreseeable future as the entire France is in a Corona lockdown and I can’t go to the airfield. Anyway the video would not show a lot, as there is absolutely no sideway movement.

Back