What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV luncheon in Oceano, Ca

That settles it. Due to risky and trechsrous flying conditions, the Oceano luncheon is cancelled. I just can’t be responsible for people flying in with fog and smoke in the area. The last thing we need is an rv crashing while flying in bad weather and starting a fire when the state is already burning up.

Since all you did was suggest a fly in 4 months ago and others set the date and continued the discussion, looks like it is still going to happen with or without you. Weather permitting, I’ll be there.

Haha! I'm based at KHAF, and yes the fog this year has been atrocious. I'd have to win the toss twice times to make this trip work - I need VFR on both ends.

Been using the enforced hangar time to good use, though. I just upgraded my panel to be IFR-capable; now I need to get the ticket.

Still hope to see you all at L52 sometime soon.

You'll have a lot of fun once you get that ticket! I flew a spam can into HAF yesterday for lunch - ceilings were actually higher than usual. Hope they get the AWOS fixed soon though. Doing IMC approaches into those coastal airports is a blast and great experience.

I'm far more worried about the smoke in the Tahoe area preventing me from leaving than the weather in Oceano. I'll also still be there if weather permits.

We land and get tied down at Oceano...then what?

As a CFI, one of my favorite discussions is with students showing me their XC mission planning. They work so hard on routes, calculations, and other planning and are proud to tell me how they are going to get to whatever airport they planned. I love to then ask..."so you landed on the runway, then what?" Usually, the blood drains from their face as they realize they have no idea what to do on the ground at their selected airport. Very funny.

To avoid making that mistake myself, once we tie down at Oceano for all this fun...then what? Are we meeting at a hangar, or restaurant, or just walking around? What should we look for?

Thanks!

As a CFI, one of my favorite discussions is with students showing me their XC mission planning. They work so hard on routes, calculations, and other planning and are proud to tell me how they are going to get to whatever airport they planned. I love to then ask..."so you landed on the runway, then what?" Usually, the blood drains from their face as they realize they have no idea what to do on the ground at their selected airport. Very funny.

To avoid making that mistake myself, once we tie down at Oceano for all this fun...then what? Are we meeting at a hangar, or restaurant, or just walking around? What should we look for?

Thanks!

There’s a restaurant about a 3 minute walk from the airport. It’s a railroad car or something like that. I would assume some will grab a bite there..

Depends

There’s a restaurant about a 3 minute walk from the airport. It’s a railroad car or something like that. I would assume some will grab a bite there..

It depends what the beach scene looks like. I'll decide on final; rather my passenger will decide while I fly final. Just saying....

Can You Say "Labor Day Weekend"?

I don't know how many of you have been around the "Tri Cities" area during any holiday period - but it gets pretty crowded.

Just Sayin'

HFS

SBP backup

I'm based out of KSBP and plan on hopping down to Oceano if it's clear. Really looking forward to it!

What to do when you're there: short walk to the Rock n Roll Diner (train car) or Old Juan's Cantina for Mexican Food, or a little farther to Sylvester's burgers for a milkshake, or the other way down to the beach (there's a little candy store at the end of the road, too). I wouldn't worry for a minute about Labor Day crowds. If it is crowded they'll all be off roading on the beach.

If the weather at Oceano is a bust, but SBP is clear, I don't mind picking up a bunch of Costco dogs and hosting a little meet up at my hangar. I'm West side of SBP (self serve fuel side) right behind the Avionics Shop.

Hope to see lots of folks next weekend!

I will be in SoCal for meetings this week until Friday. My plan is to try out some airplane camping at oceano as long as the ceilings cooperate Friday night. Hope to see you all there on Saturday!

Fly in

I will be there (weather permitting). I might be a tad late as I might fly some young eagles in the morning

I just landed. Setting up camp for the night. Not a cloud in the sky. It was marginal vfr until about 11am today.

Sorry, cant make it. Was at KSBA for 2 weeks to get out of the smoke. Made it back to KCXP today with marginal conditions. Don’t want to chance getting stuck.

Have fun guys. Catch you on the next one!

Our baby decided to come early, plus the smoke, so I also won't make it. Have fun to those who do!

.. and I ended up having to fly to Hawaii.
Did anyone fly to Oceano today?

.. and I ended up having to fly to Hawaii.
Did anyone fly to Oceano today?
I think I counted 7 or 8 RVS. Couldn’t get in until around noon due to clouds, (waited at PRB).
Had a great time at lunch and it was clear when we left:)

I won the lottery on this one ... the fog cleared up around noon KHAF and was able to get in the air by 12:30 and into L52 by 13:45, where the local fog was rapidly clearing. I two-shipped down with Pat, my hangar neighbor and fellow -7 driver.

There were a number of RVs on the ramp, but the occupants had already disappeared into the wilds of Oceano town by the time we got there. We checked out the 10,000 campers (the other kind of "RV") in the area and had a nice lunch at the Rock and Roll diner.

Met a few other pilots briefly before their formation flight departed and then we flew back north, were I was happy to find that a nice hole was open just south of KHAF (above the region known locally as the "banana belt") and we could fly a two-ship break into downwind.

Disappointed that we didn't meet more of you, but it was a nice flight and I had lots of opportunity for both of us to practice some new formation flying skills.

Let's do it again!

Photo of my bird on the ramp, with other RVs in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 128
Yup

We made it after breakfast at CMA. We were going to hang out but the clouds started rolling back in so we bailed early. Nice to meet Pete and Pete! :cool:

-Marc and Rita

Walt I am bummed I missed you and your friend. By the time I realized you were back you were taxiing out! Your 7 is beautiful! It was really great meeting everyone today. It’s crazy how much I learned about aviation just hanging out with the awesome people that showed up! I look forward to the next one!

I flew around overhead for a while and headed back to SLO around 11. Figured most folks watching weather from home would call it off by then. Guess I should have waited a little longer.

We should definitely plan more lunch flights. Seems like those were happening every weekend back when I was building 15-20 years ago.

Figures that once we bugged out of Oceano the fog would have burned offshore enough not to be a threat. Oh well, was still great to meet Walt, Pete and a few others. And, one of these days I'll make it from E16 to Half Moon Bay to see Bill's new -7.

I'm up for doing it again some time at Oceano, or generally anywhere. See you guys later.

We should definitely plan more lunch flights. Seems like those were happening every weekend back when I was building 15-20 years ago.
It’s kind of ironic to hear that, as I’d noticed the same thing here in Texas; 15 years ago there were RV fly outs and breakfast/burger/BBQ runs several times per month… I’d finished my RV just in time to partake of a few. But now? Nada.

I guess I could try to throw out a date and location for one, but it seems that on most Saturdays I’m either working or doing CAF stuff, so the RV fun gets put on the back burner.

Figures that once we bugged out of Oceano the fog would have burned offshore enough not to be a threat. Oh well, was still great to meet Walt, Pete and a few others. And, one of these days I'll make it from E16 to Half Moon Bay to see Bill's new -7.

I'm up for doing it again some time at Oceano, or generally anywhere. See you guys later.

We're approaching the time of the year where we can meet for (an expensive) lunch at Harris Ranch!

15% Discount

Harris Ranch used to give a 15% discount to fly in customers - maybe still do.

HFS

Harris Ranch used to give a 15% discount to fly in customers - maybe still do.

HFS

Yeah, they still give some discount, but I can't recall what exactly.
I am thinking that we let the temperatures drop a bit, and then organize a lunch fly-in there...

Yeah, they still give some discount, but I can't recall what exactly.
I am thinking that we let the temperatures drop a bit, and then organize a lunch fly-in there...

Been thinking of a Harris ranch visit. Never been there but looks great.

Not surprising, the OP is MIA.

Harris Ranch doesn't even require that you fly in for the discount - just ask at checkout and show your license. I think even an AOPA card will do it.

I'm taking my boss there next Saturday. Great place.

Glitz - Old Rocket Cafe @ L45

Just saying' - but the restaurant that makes the most sense from a perspective of RV history is the old Rocket Cafe, now Glitz at Bakersfield Muni (L45).

Bakersfield Muni and it's RV pilot group - "The Bakersfield Bunch" used to be the "go to" place for any and all things RV - way back when. It was not uncommon to have a dozen or more RV's (mostly -3's & -4's back then) show up for a morning gathering. At that time the cafe was a (very) greasy spoon called the Airport Cafe - run by Karen. Everybody went there and knew her.

It burned down and the airport was without restaurant service for several years. Then John & Lynn Harmon took it upon themselves to bring it back to life - the Rocket Cafe was born, and stayed that way for many years. It closed during there beginning of the pandemic, but reopened under new management as Glitz, with a bit more upscale menu - but still a good place to gather.

Prices are less than Harris, and more of the patrons are airplane oriented than those at HR.

L45 may become a gathering place once more with a little effort on our parts - it's pretty equidistant from the Southland as well as locations to the North, and for the most part, the winds (especially in the afternoon) are more favorable for easy operation. Also better taxiway and ramp facilities.

YMMV - and probably will!

HFS

Harris & Gltz

Harris Ranch discount is 10%. You need to show your license.

The write-up about L45 (above) is perfect. I spent some time there last year, when I was on a job in Bakersfield. A fantastic group of builders and owners.
That would be (another) great place to gather.

I’d also put Big Bear and LO5 (Kern Valley) on the list.

Seems like those were happening every weekend back when I was building 15-20 years ago.

Yep, back when "Yahoo Groups" was around the "SoCal RV List" (Paul "Rosy" Rosales and Gary "Condor" Sobek started it if I recall correctly) there were flights all the time. Sometimes one or two sometimes a dozen or more. Sadly since Yahoo discontinued groups it has kind of died. It is still out there someplace but darn if I can find it easily.

As this is the best place for all things RV possibly posting here might get the same results.

Yep, back when "Yahoo Groups" was around the "SoCal RV List" (Paul "Rosy" Rosales and Gary "Condor" Sobek started it if I recall correctly) there were flights all the time. Sometimes one or two sometimes a dozen or more. Sadly since Yahoo discontinued groups it has kind of died. It is still out there someplace but darn if I can find it easily.

As this is the best place for all things RV possibly posting here might get the same results.

Those were good times in So Cal….1998-2004 ( Before Yahoo groups!)
We called ourselves the “6 Pack”; even had shirts made up with a logo.
Group included Dwain “Joker” Harris, Walt “RedDog” Hastings, Gary “Birdstrike”Sobek, Werner “Pied Piper” Berry, Tom”Redtail”Prokop, Laird”Lucky”Owens, Paul “Rosie”Rosales .
Photo was taken over Nebraska in route to Airventure 99. Werner, Gary, Walt, & Dwain.

Attachments

• 20FF27AF-A5F5-4C8B-8ACB-ED6CA6CAF803.jpeg
    20FF27AF-A5F5-4C8B-8ACB-ED6CA6CAF803.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Just saying' - but the restaurant that makes the most sense from a perspective of RV history is the old Rocket Cafe, now Glitz at Bakersfield Muni (L45) .....

I'm game! :D .. as the fall progresses, the coastal fog disappears ... but the tule fogs comes as the wx cools, but there should be lots of opportunities to arrive "on schedule"

Is Werner Berry Still In The "Business"?

I still have his card from all those many years ago - meeting him and others at Harris Ranch.

Is he still in the RV business?

I seem to remember him winning an award at OSH the year he took his airplane to show - anybody remember?

Thanks - HFS

Attachments

• Werner Berry’s Card.jpg
    Werner Berry’s Card.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 104
Back