What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Counterweights differ from plans...

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I have an OLD set of plans that show the elevator counterweights to have a rounded outside that fits within the fiberglass tip, but the parts I have are two sets of two rectangular lead pieces that clearly bolt to the E703/E704 ribs. I'm pretty sure I sense how to do this, but I'd appreciate any guidance from the wise multitudes.

I happen to have the older rectangular lead counterweights on my elevators ( the rounded ones are the newer design). I originally bought my empennage kit in 1999. But, I didn't even take parts out of the box until 2014.

I wonder if Van's could supply you with the older drawings?

Well, I know when the plans changed! My original kit, 8-1751 had the rounded counterweights. That kit was sold as a project, and then I acquired another project, 8-1651. That kit has rectangular weights, but the plans show the rounded ones. Not sure which would be easier, getting older drawings, or buying newer weights?

My older RV-8 tail kit that I purchased from another on VAF had the OLD style RV-6 elevator weights. The newer plans have RV-7 weights and that saves 1.5 pounds.

In my opinion, it is worth purchasing any extra parts necessary to save the 1.5 pounds of weight that far back on the airplane. I forget if it was 1.5 pounds per elevator or 1.5 pounds for both elevator. RV-7,8 DWG 5 has the latest lighter elevator weight and parts. IIRC, the earlier kit parts will work (other than the weights) and are not pre-punched aluminum but the newer parts are all pre-punched. (other than the lead weight)

The only deviation from the plans that I did on the elevators (RV-7 lead weight) was to add a platenut so that additional lead weight could be bolted on after paint so as to stay 100% balanced. I used a piece of lead sheet to make square washers. The lead sheet is the kind that was used on roof years ago to seal around vent pipes.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.52.36 PM.png

RV-6 DWG 4PP has the rectangle weights that puts more weight in the tail of the airplane.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 1.04.47 PM.png

Thanks! Interesting that the weights are only intended to counter-balance the rest of the elevator, but earlier models need an extra 1.5 pounds to do it? I guess since they're located further aft, rather than out at the leading edge of the fiberglass tip, they need more weight?

Back