What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CAT, SCAT, CEET, SCEET

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am working on my FWF installation. I have read Aircraft Spruce's summary of the differences between the abolve flexible ducting. What I can't figure out is, what should I use for my heat muff to cabin duct, blast tubes, etc. So, is it a choice of black over red? I assume that the CEET and SCEET, which are two ply thick, is overkill for the short RV runs. So it comes down to CAT vs SCAT.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Michael Wynn

SCAT is the stuff...

...to use forward of the firewall. This is pretty standard in certified planes.

The 500F rating vs. the 300F rating of CAT is the deciding factor.

Inside the cockpit area, then CAT is OK.

My RV vent kit came from Vans with black tubing still containing the label from the aviation department of JC Whitney....:)

...Inside the cockpit area, then CAT is OK.

My RV vent kit came from Vans with black tubing still containing the label from the aviation department of JC Whitney....:)
I found some stuff at the local auto parts store that is "custom made" for Van's RV's, just read the label:

Last edited:
Please don't use Cat for anything. After a few years moisture gets trapped between the tubing and the aluminum (Any aluminum it touches) which starts corrosion between that and the steel spring that is in the tubing. I wouldn't consider using anything that isn't Silicone embedded (the S is Scat).

Reactions: Tag
Confused...

Please don't use Cat for anything. After a few years moisture gets trapped between the tubing and the aluminum (Any aluminum it touches) which starts corrosion between that and the steel spring that is in the tubing. I wouldn't consider using anything that isn't Silicone embedded (the S is Scat).

...about your comments....

Assuming a low temp application, SCAT tubing also has exposed steel wires on it's interior surface, so why wouldn't it corrode in the circumstances you mention above? If anything, the silicone would hold moisture in more efficiently....:confused:

SCAT tubing showing exposed wire....

3621.JPG

I believe the silicone embedding (the "S") is in the cloth, not the wire....

Last edited:
copper coating

Gil..
The wire used inside of the SCAT tube is copper coated, just like MIG welding wire, and resists corrosion. It is also a nicer product to use for the air vents. I have used the vinyl wire stuff on auto applications a few times and was amazed at how quickly it deteriorated. for the couple of extra bucks it costs to install SCAT, I think it is a good idea.

2 cents,
Chris

But... are we comparing...

Gil..
The wire used inside of the SCAT tube is copper coated, just like MIG welding wire, and resists corrosion. It is also a nicer product to use for the air vents. I have used the vinyl wire stuff on auto applications a few times and was amazed at how quickly it deteriorated. for the couple of extra bucks it costs to install SCAT, I think it is a good idea.

2 cents,
Chris

....SCAT to CAT like the original post said, or are we comparing SCAT to JC Whitney stuff? - which is a vastly different proposition....:)

What is the wire compostition/plating of real CAT hose, which oxuser did not like to use? Most likely, it is the same as the SCAT tubing, but I can't verify...

Perhaps oxuser really meant to say "don't use the automotive stuff", which has nothing to do with silicone content....:)

So two questions:

What the HECK do these acronyms stand for, anyway?

and

Does someone have a list of suggested or acceptable applications for the different types? e.g., it appears SCAT is recommended for engine compartment use, such as the cabin heat stuff; is there a chart or list that shows other options? Advantages/disadvantages? etc.

SCAT tubing (Cuffed)

Yesterday I saw at SNF a airframe who's builder had used some sort of seemed SCAT tubing and it looked very nice and finished. Any idea who makes this? I assume it's ordered cut to length. Thanks

SCAT Tubing (cuffed)

Custom Duct

www.fairpoint.net/~kinney/

One of the better kept secrets in the corrugated hose business. At times, over the years, they have been located everywhere from the Northwest to the far East coast.

I have been using their service since the late 1980's, and have yet to replace a hose because of failed end conditions.

YMMV - And probably will.

HFS

Last edited:
SCAT Tubing (cuffed)

Custom Duct

www.fairpoint.net/~kinney/

One of the better kept secrets in the corrugated hose business. At times, over the years, they have been located everywhere from the Northwest to the far East coast.

I have been using their service since the late 1980's, and have yet to replace a hose because of failed end conditions.

YMMV - And probably will.

HFS
Hi David,
Do you happen to have a current web address or phone for these hoses. The link is broken.

Thanks!

2nd your input. This is the very cause of a recent AD for Cessna 177s(and 210s) requiring an Eddy Current inspection +++ which has led to some Carrythrough Spar replacement$$$

Back