What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PlaneAround door lock pictures

bomber_JB

I'm installing PlaneAround door lock on a new installation along with the Aerosport door handles. I've read the instructions on the door locks and enlarged the pictures Sean provides. The enlarged pictures are grainy and I can' t make out some details.

If you have some pictures of your installation I'd really like to see them.

Thanks

Jerry

Here's a couple of pics of mine. 1st pic is showing mechanism without 2 door halves being bonded. 2nd shows close up of the aluminum tape and top "drip strip" I installed to prevent epoxy from getting into spots that might bind it up.

Also, here's a link to a video I found VERY helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPJEq558tM&t=761s

Attachments

• 8LBvE%BJRKmOSBvF9Qt3oQ.jpg
    8LBvE%BJRKmOSBvF9Qt3oQ.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 247
  • ywICTG2dS0yQZ8uy+SnerA.jpg
    ywICTG2dS0yQZ8uy+SnerA.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 205
I just finished mine, if I were to do it again I would probably do it before I glued the halves together. I was able to complete it, but it would have been easier to do separate.

I'm installing PlaneAround door lock on a new installation along with the Aerosport door handles.

One lesson learned the hard way on exactly the installation you are doing. Be sure to install the Plane Around 180 with the Van's provided actuator gears in the door pocket at the location specified in the Plane Around and Van's instructions. I made the mistake of centering the actuator in the pocket with the Plane Around plate centered, figuring it would give better clearance for the lock. However, the connecting "rods" provided with the Plane Around package are designed for the actuator mechanism to be located per the Van's instructions, with is not centered in the pocket. As a result, I had to have new "rods" created so that they were the right length for the location I placed the actuator within the door.

If you can be more specific as to what your questions are and what parts you want to see, I may have some photos of my build that could help.

Regards,

That's interesting, I had the planearound and aerosport, installed the gear mechanism with the aerosport strike plate to locate it. No issues.

Lock and key

I would like advice on modifying the door lock mechanism. To be clear I’m not talking about any of the latches but specifically the lock and key mechanism which can be easily overridden when locked. A while ago I saw some pictures from someone who posted Pictures of a modification but I can no longer find it.

Thank you,
Dan

https://photos.app.goo.gl/44BLxsiYqLhv6PFBA

Tried linking to a picture - what a bloody pain !

JswuAvzcXd3ysFZm8

Maybe this ?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SxrwMB2jpTQxwpW1A

JswuAvzcXd3ysFZm8

No wonder users are moving to Facebook, much easier to post a picture

Last edited:
Thank you, that’s exactly what I had in mind!

I’d go back and watch Ed Krantz’s video closely and read the aero sport manual closely.
Andy Miller’s latching mechanism dosent appear to utilize the roll pin recessed into the latch mechanism on the forward side of the door.
It’s impossible to override the lock if this is implemented as designed.

Back