What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Composite Class

tfarrell839

There will be an RV Composite class held in Watsonville, CA at Aircrafters on Feb. 23 & 24. The class is really helpful (ask around!) and focuses on mating the top to the fuselage. This year there will also be some focus on trimming and sealing the doors. Info below:

. . . RV Composite Class

This course will provide an overview of the composite parts and techniques used on Van's Aircraft RV-10 kits. We will focus on correct materials and processes, fitting the composite top and doors, cowl, spinner, fairings, and other composite parts. You will receive hands-on training to identify and use all necessary materials. Examples of completed and in-process assemblies will be available to view.

Who: Dave Saylor and Tim Farrell.

Dave: I started working with composite kitplanes in 1998. I'm an A&P/IA, and I have finished my personal RV-10 project, along with many other composite and aluminum projects. I received my BS in Aeronautics from San Jose State.

Tim: I have spent most of my time working on Lancairs and teaching owners of kitplanes fiberglass and carbon fiber techniques and tricks is what I have always enjoyed most.

When: February 23 and 24, 2013 (Saturday & Sunday)

8AM-4PM Saturday
8AM-3PM Sunday
Where: AirCrafters, Watsonville Airport (KWVI), 140 Aviation Way, Watsonville, CA 95076

831-722-9141
www.AirCraftersLLC.com/seminars.htm

Class size is limited to 15 builders
$425 payable by cash, check or credit card
Please call or email to register, even if you have emailed expressing interest in the last few days.
50% deposit is required before February 1st, 2013. Balance due before class starts.

The nearest major airport is San Jose International. It's a 45 minute drive to KWVI.

If you are a RV-10 builder, this class will save you time with your finish kit. Well worth the expense. They will show you some tips, so you don't have to re-invent the wheel when it comes time to start working on your cabin cover and cowl.

bob

If you have not helped someone else fit thier -10 top and are getting close to doing ours, this is a MUST CLASS.
I fit my top in less then a full day.
Make a wrong cut and you sure can cause a lot of trouble for yourself. After this class I had no problems cutting and sanding to get the perfect fit.

The link in the OP doesn't work. I was going to ask what the policy was if I sign up and can't make it due to weather. I'm teaching, so driving there on Friday and back on Monday won't work; I'd travel via RV, weather permitting.

Are these classes ever taught say they don't fall on a Saturday? Or, any thought of making a video of the class?

Class on

We can announce that the class is on. There are still a few spots left, but we have enough people to go ahead. If you did not get an email from me and you thought your spot was reserved, please contact us.

Also, we defined the return policy:

Our refund policy will be the following: full refund before feb 1. After that, you are committed to the 50%. We're all pilots and we all understand the effects of weather. I would ask that you have a backup plan in case you are weathered in, but in the case that you are flying in and can't make it do to weather, we'll refund 50% and the remainder can be applied to another class or shop time.

Great! We're excited.

Class for RV-12 builders?

I'd be very interested in a like class for RV-12 builders. Although I am far from needing fiberglass skills now, I would attend later this year.

Is there RV-12 specific interest? Maybe this post will help decide that. What say you RV-12 builders?

Great Class

I want to give a big shout out to Tim and Dave for putting on a very informative and helpful class. Having completed the class, I am at least confident enough to start making my first mistakes in fiberglass, knowing that I can now fix them and won't have to scrap parts and start over.:D:D:D

As a side benefit, just spending the time in their hanger during breaks and looking over other projects answered a lot of questions that I didn't even know to ask yet.....

I also would like to thank the other builders that came from all over the world to attend the class. What a great group of future RV 10 pilots.

Composite class

Hi all,
I finally made it to the forum. A HUGE thank you to Tim Farrel and Dave Saylor from Aircrafters for putting together a composite workshop last weekend. It was awesome. I have learned a lot. Seein ghow things are done and even doing something mysef was very useful.
I highly recommend this class!

Yuri

complsite class

Dave and Tim from Aircrafters where great. I attended there class last week and they answered a lot of questions and a big thanks to all the others that where there, they helped me out and it was awsome to actually look at a few rv10 and crawl around them and be able to ask questions. A must take course if building a 10.

Did any of you guys see a light green RV4 being repaired there? Did it look like they were making good progress? Any talk about it during the visit?
Thanks.

The 4 is in compact mode: wings off, no engine, no prop, no gear, no empennage. This week parts started to roll in and we look forward to getting her back together in the next weeks.

Thanks Tim. It came out of the hangar next to mine so I was sorry to see it damaged. Appreciate the good news!

Back