What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Three thumbs up, Flyboys, Flyleds & Duckworks

Having just recently finished installing the Flyleds Combo Lights in the leading edges of my RV3b, would like to pass along that all three venders have been a real pleasure to deal with.
In particular, Blake at Flyboy Accessories was exceedingly responsive to all of my email enquiries and also went to the trouble to find best shipping rates, after I grumbled about being robbed by shipping companies.
The owner of Flyleds, Paul was most helpful after my making enquiries about the suitability of the Combo Light being installed in the RV3 wing. On Paul's recommendation, I purchased install kits from Duckworks.
The Duckworks install kit worked out excellent and was specific to the RV3, requiring very minor modification to the light mounting bracket.
After receiving all the parts required for the install, assembled and tested the Flyleds lights and discovered that the wigwag module I'd also ordered wouldn't 'wag' one of the lights. No questions asked... Paul from flyleds mailed me a replacement. Thank you Paul!
The installation was relatively straight forward, with the Duckworks instructions be very detailed and most helpful, with little hints to help novices such as myself.
Because the hole cut into the leading edge of the wing is the absolute minimum to fit parts into the wing, required trimming the Combo Light mounting plate and also removal of the articulating taxi light from the mounting plate, in order to fit everything into the wing. The articulating taxi light then needs to be reinstalled onto the plate while inside the wing. Reassembling the light inside the wing was a bit of a challenge, kind of like surgery... but doable.
I am super pleased with the end result! The Flyled lights are absolutely blinding and even the AME's at my airfield are impressed with the quality and standards of the newly installed lights.
The total weight of the installation was 3 lbs 1.2 oz after subtracting the material cut away from the wing and Combo Light mounting plate.
Again, it was a real pleasure dealing with these three venders and wish to publically thank them for providing excellent service, excellent products at a fair price.
Cheers

Last edited:
Back