What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

912ULS Teflon or Rubber, Which do I have?

jrock836

Well Known Member
I feel like I need to go back to college and get a degree in reading comprehension of Rotax documentation. I've read this document way too many times and I honestly can't figure it out.. My engine is a 2012 912ULS, serial number 6779589.

https://rotax-docs.secure.force.com...rsion/download/068120000028GMMAA2?asPdf=false

Can someone tell me an easy way of determining if I have teflon fuel hoses installed on my RV12. I don't see any log entry from prior owners on replacing the fuel lines. I don't want to replace the hoses if they are already teflon hoses and not subject to 5 year replacement.

The Rotax document in your link says on page 6:

NOTE: All fuel hoses assy. are clearly identified by a serial number and part number shown on the label.

1 fuel hose assy. part no.874911
2 fuel hose assy. part no. 874337
3 fuel hose assy. part no. 874347

So it sounds like the presence of a label on the hose with one of these numbers would indicate that it is teflon. Note there may be other fuel hoses in the engine compartment that are not teflon...

The Rotax document in your link says on page 6:

NOTE: All fuel hoses assy. are clearly identified by a serial number and part number shown on the label.

1 fuel hose assy. part no.874911
2 fuel hose assy. part no. 874337
3 fuel hose assy. part no. 874347

So it sounds like the presence of a label on the hose with one of these numbers would indicate that it is teflon. Note there may be other fuel hoses in the engine compartment that are not teflon...

All of my hoses have fire sleeve and if there's a way to tell without removing a hose, pulling the fire sleeve off and then hoping there's a "label" somewhere on said hose, it might be nice.. Also, why would Rotax have a mix of teflon and non-teflon hoses on the same engine.. Thus my confusion and hoping for some clarification from someone that has already been down this road..

Check aircraftspecialty.com. Their replacement hose kit ordering instructions has some good information on fuel hoses that might help.

It's also possible that you have a set of replacement Teflon hoses from TS Flightlines. I put them on a few years ago. If you post a picture of the fuel lines, we might be able to tell.

I have never seen a set of Rotax supplied Teflon hoses, but the TS Flightlines hoses we have are smaller diameter and have different fittings -- pretty easy to tell the difference.

I stand by my original statement. I have personally never seen a set, so I don't know what they look like. Our RV-12 was finished in 2011, engine S/N 6775234. I had to do a five-year fuel hose replacement, and did so with a TS Flightlines set. I can't say for sure whether any of the old ones were Teflon; they all went in the can because they're incompatible with the new set.

Joe---post a pic, or email me one. The original RV12/Rotax fuel hoses were rubber with firesleeve. At some point around 2012-13, Rotax started delivering engines with teflon (Stratoflex 101) carb hoses. Vans in about 2015-16 started to use some teflon.
WE always have--

Tom

Joe---post a pic, or email me one. The original RV12/Rotax fuel hoses were rubber with firesleeve. At some point around 2012-13, Rotax started delivering engines with teflon (Stratoflex 101) carb hoses. Vans in about 2015-16 started to use some teflon.
WE always have--

Tom

Just sent you some photos.. Thanks for all the info Tom.. Order placed for some TS Flightline teflon hose, with stainless hose ends...(Turns out I already had teflon carb hoses and teflon oil hoses)

Last edited:
All of my hoses have fire sleeve and if there's a way to tell without removing a hose, pulling the fire sleeve off and then hoping there's a "label" somewhere on said hose, it might be nice.. Also, why would Rotax have a mix of teflon and non-teflon hoses on the same engine.. Thus my confusion and hoping for some clarification from someone that has already been down this road..

As Tom mentioned, there has been a variety of different configurations shipped throughout the years on the RV12 aircraft. We developed this hose guide to help identify what kind of hoses you have on your aircraft.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV12 Hose Guide.pdf

As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to email or call Tom or I.

Happy Building,
Steve

Man, fast service! Received them yesterday!

Thanks Tom!

Attachments

• 20210401_130415.jpg
    20210401_130415.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 90
Back