What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend 4/17/20-4/19/20

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
My buddy David Adams and I flew our RVs to KBNA - Nashville, TN and did a touch n go, just because they are slow right now and seemed like something neat to do.

74ZPNUCmnL3nyu3H47pz5B8EOxWzFTtGeIhO3csURnKFZC8MwZkXQWIwgmOqwcXHQR0B6nX0T6wBqxDWdVEdsd-gi5yxxTQ2VMWZqoCbZ9JpJyZhRvu7BfWXhR6d9rpYk6dFFtPQ7ss4Zd_3qysdHfGPIcp-lODxzrJUd3sZ_hSsCxWiYDY5JYn5cWVCr1FAAxb1SkwDjpNvVSp1gtOrjNtl9JyX5EbsCXE-hdbRNXQAprYp9wKbkbGUZaHW4sYjwOXq8yvClAmAMFd0eHQD4qyymU_LDkaVvn2AMjX-xDHwfA-7pDGoPs1KX-qO8ajps_rZFYrk-qI6xhBVu-55ITDYIyaQ8HAKknWgVaZQBa-ur3wsKvQge0oWTi7AWTSIYe_hCKOppGqfFhvDiiZkUwgextHYzy41kZa3AlBh8jRnWXcFDqqVx6j4CF3yYYYjh1JXOOouNR4NWbcsa84QlL6t0iIMtZuOOycAYp6xyh4QkFfm6nhf4m4ywWKRNUa1Ry4PR7osSwEuMkv8wzc4QmXVjx_KTO3a9E2o1gt7n34DklGlpkBjWpssHdOWQACXRdkwLfpCS9Tp14kJXb2CtTP4UdO82rmQ5hcvc0wq5rv6AKl_SEzF0uK43V-3163ErFE6wRgYlzFuCiKDPiCtnzRVT52McPZtu-d4j7b_kMIreJ701qGnWp7FYR7qGRwhF1gRoADR6ni2mgiM75uMraO83Tvp6j0q9E7uQIN8AatoyrOhH7QLgNs=s604-no

See more pics on my site below!

Riveted the skin on the rudder and left elevator. Rudder trailing edge was glued and left to sit with the angle-aluminum, fingers crossed that it comes out straight when we de-cleco it today. Check out the blog for pictures and details.

Finished up the condition inspection and flew again -- finally. We swapped out the SL-40 and old intercom for a GTR 200B; what an improvement! We also had the prop refurbed by Sensenich and the front half of the hub replaced so we won't need to tear it all down every 50 hours. The prop is balanced much better now, with a LOT less noticeable vibration. We'll still get it dynamically balanced, but the improvement is quite noticeable.

Had some good IMC here on Saturday, got 2.1 hours practice in actual and shot 6 approaches, 4 of them down to true minimums.

oCm.jpg

A quick trip to the lake to take care of some springtime chores. Yes, Pie is missing her front tooth....she was wiggling another lose one as we were loading up. Despite the look on Lil' Dude's face (more his fighting off a nap look) he loves riding in back, he even calls it ahead of time like "shotgun."

IMG_7006_heic-L.jpg

We flew down at 11,000 above a layer of clouds, weather was better than expected as the clouds ended just before our descent with T-storms about 40 miles south.

https://andycrabtree.smugmug.com/Fly-with-Weston/i-pkmPg3t/A

A buddy was just launching in his Skywagon as we were arriving, after a quick briefing I joined up on his wing and managed not to embarrass myself too bad. I love watching Lil' dude who like myself can't not watch an airplane go by....

IMG_7011_heic-L.jpg

Last edited:
Yukon AV8R local flights around Lake Laberge, Yukon

Went for a couple rips up and down Lake Laberge in the RV-4 Friday and Saturday evenings. Lake's still ice covered, but spring's on it's way. Thought about landing on the lake, the snow looked very shallow and ice looked smooth. Maybe next time.

Friday April 17:
https://youtu.be/rVj3kB4xMCg

Saturday April 18:
https://youtu.be/4b3ntDSlPPQ

Rather than upload the photo's to a service one by one which, for me, is quite time consuming, the Gallery app on my Android phone automatically creates a slide show with one button push, that can be easily uploaded to Youtube. One upload gets all the photo's uploaded together in one slideshow/video. It was so easy I decided to upload a few more past flights. Sorry about the background music, it was picked by the app! :) Easy, but a bit cheesy:D

Working on the top cowl. Won't bother sharing photos; boring and discouraging. Another dark forest of the journey... but journey I must.

Back