What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tiedown Technique

If you're using bare Dyneema without a grippy cover, it won't hold a knot under load.

I tried to pull-test some 1/4" Dyneema that I'd knotted and couldn't get any knot to hold under a steady pull. At around 2,000 to 2,500 pounds, IIRC, the bitter end would slowly slither right on through the knot. Didn't matter what kind of knot: I tried most of them that I could think of and used stopper knots too. No joy. It was sort of fun to watch it.

I was an active sailor at the time and reasonably competent with knots then, too.

The pull-test facility manager was so amused that he didn't charge me for the hour's use of the testing machine.

My understanding is that a buried splice will hold, but unfortunately that's somewhat impractical for tiedowns.

There are a number of ropes with polyester covers and Dyneema cores that are strong and will hold knots. A good source for ropes is www.apsltd.com. Give them a call and ask for advice. I'd think that 1/4" diameter for a covered/core high-tech rope is probably sufficient, especially doubled.

Don't forget to pull the rope snug and get the knot up on the ring.

Dave

If you're using bare Dyneema without a grippy cover, it won't hold a knot under load.

I tried to pull-test some 1/4" Dyneema that I'd knotted and couldn't get any knot to hold under a steady pull. At around 2,000 to 2,500 pounds, IIRC, the bitter end would slowly slither right on through the knot. Didn't matter what kind of knot: I tried most of them that I could think of and used stopper knots too. No joy. It was sort of fun to watch it.

I was an active sailor at the time and reasonably competent with knots then, too.

The pull-test facility manager was so amused that he didn't charge me for the hour's use of the testing machine.

My understanding is that a buried splice will hold, but unfortunately that's somewhat impractical for tiedowns.

There are a number of ropes with polyester covers and Dyneema cores that are strong and will hold knots. A good source for ropes is www.apsltd.com. Give them a call and ask for advice. I'd think that 1/4" diameter for a covered/core high-tech rope is probably sufficient, especially doubled.

Don't forget to pull the rope snug and get the knot up on the ring.

Dave

I should've been more specific. The line (yep, that's what I was taught to call it, under penalty of humiliation) has a polyester cover on it. I haven't done a pull test, unless you consider connecting my friend's 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 truck to a 3-pin tiedown via said line after we'd all been enjoying ourselves a bit too much, to be a test. For what it's worth he stalled the engine in high range. Low range with rear locker engaged eventually extracted the stakes from the Alvord.

Oh yeah, I have no idea where I bought that line. Multiple moves have made the receipt disappear into the ether.

Back