What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cessna Style Flap Switch Mod

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
I've searched but have not come up with any information on installing a Cessna style flap switch with detents in a Van's aircraft.

I'm currently flying a C-172 with a spring loaded switch like the one for my -7. I absolutely hate it :mad:
Could I get used to it? I'm sure I could but since I'm building my own plane I'd like to see if using a Cessna style switch with would be feasible and reasonable.

A flap switch like this:
flap_switch.jpg

I really wanted to install one of those in my plane but couldn't find one.

I realized it wasn't necessary as I pot the flaps all the way down abeam the numbers, regardless of the wind.

Good luck, I hope you find one.

Would this work for you? https://showplanes.com/ecom-prodshow/FPS.html

I do the hold and count for my flaps. I guess it just hasn't risen to the top of my improvement list yet.

BTW, that paddle switch drove me crazy in the Cardinal. I had a bad habit of hitting it when I didn't want to when I was futzing with the A/P.

Would this work for you? https://showplanes.com/ecom-prodshow/FPS.html

I do the hold and count for my flaps. I guess it just hasn't risen to the top of my improvement list yet.

BTW, that paddle switch drove me crazy in the Cardinal. I had a bad habit of hitting it when I didn't want to when I was futzing with the A/P.

+1

This flap positioning system (also sold by Van?s) is what I put in three RVs. Just a bump and it goes to the next postion, another bump and it goes again, flip your flap switch up and they go up and stop. Simple.

This system also is a perfect match for a flap toggle switch on your Infinity Stick Grip.

Carl

I don?t know about you guys, by my flaps are either up or down. The only time I use anything between is when I?m lead during a formation landing then, I use half flaps.

I am all for personal customization to make it better. Not sure incremental flaps makes it better unless you have some highly specialized need.

That being said... I look forward to seeing pics and reports of the final product of you continue.

Tinker

Colors.

We use the colored bar system out on the flap itself. I take a Sharpie and color maker each 10* hash, then shade it in in that color. The first bar is about 2.5" long and each bar above that is another 2-2.5" longer than the last station. We practice and use all the flap settings and everything in-between.
This keeps it simple and easy to use. The flaps on an RV work well but are not of the same type as the Cessna. The drag and pitch changes are not the same. We like to practice with the flaps at all settings and use them as the airport we are arriving at dictates or slow flight is needed. Think KOSH at 70-90 Kts. Once you get up and flying with your RV you will get used to the flaps on an RV and I think you will find they won't be any big problem for you.
Just our two pennies. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Flaps in a RV are less effective, and have considerably less trim change on deployment compared to a 172. So it seems like these systems add quite a bit of complexity for very little gain. In the RV I normally teach half flaps unless you're high and need more drag. The difference between exactly half flaps and something in that ballpark is so negligible that it's not worth worrying about.

Flaps in a RV are less effective, and have considerably less trim change on deployment compared to a 172. So it seems like these systems add quite a bit of complexity for very little gain. In the RV I normally teach half flaps unless you're high and need more drag. The difference between exactly half flaps and something in that ballpark is so negligible that it's not worth worrying about.

For RVs other than the RV-10 and RV-14 this is right. Half flaps provide lift. Full flaps provide little more lift but much more drag. I aways land with full flaps.

For the RV-10 and RV-14 the flap are far more effective across the flap extension range. They also have a very noticeable effect on trim. Taking off with half flaps is like riding an elevator.

Carl

I don?t know about you guys, by my flaps are either up or down. The only time I use anything between is when I?m lead during a formation landing then, I use half flaps.

I am all for personal customization to make it better. Not sure incremental flaps makes it better unless you have some highly specialized need.

That being said... I look forward to seeing pics and reports of the final product of you continue.

Tinker

This makes sense...The -7 flaps ARE tiny compared to the barn doors on a Cessna.

Aircraft Extras flap positioning system

I have the Aircraft Extras system in my airplane and I really like it. The shape of the switch is up to you.

Not only the size...Cessna flaps are fowler flaps and on the RV3-4-6-7-8 they're simple flaps. Not nearly as effective.

additions

The only thing we have found that needs to be changed from the O.E.M. flap system that came with RV-3,4,6,7,8, is we would like to add one of those paddle switch covers to the original toggle switch and paint it white. I think they install with an Allen set screw. If you did that you would think you were in a Cessna or other factory bird. Just a thought, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

I've searched but have not come up with any information on installing a Cessna style flap switch with detents in a Van's aircraft.

I'm currently flying a C-172 with a spring loaded switch like the one for my -7. I absolutely hate it :mad:
Could I get used to it? I'm sure I could but since I'm building my own plane I'd like to see if using a Cessna style switch with would be feasible and reasonable.

A flap switch like this:
flap_switch.jpg

The switch pictured is really a lot more complicated than it seems at first blush. It seems the action you want is to select a position with the switch, and then the flaps go to that position. This "set and forget" scheme requires a flap feedback loop so that the flaps can report back to the switch when they get where they want to go. This feedback system in the C-177 I used to fly and maintain was cable operated. There was a cable running from the flap actuator, through the doorframe, and back to the switch. This cable drove a little sled in the switch which microswitches were mounted to provide the "in position" or "not in position" logic in addition to the little white indicator pin on the left side of the switch. It was convenient to fly, but a mechanical nigtmare to rig or maintain.

Bottom line is that there are microprocessor controlled options that would be much easier to implement than the Cessna system.

Personally, I like the Cirrus style "Up -Takeoff - Landing" rotary switch, but it also needs a feedback loop of some kind.

Flaps

Think that I liked the old style on Cessna aircraft, you know the lever between the seats always worked little or nothing to maintain didn't care if the battery was dead or not. Just saying, oh well back in the dark ages.

Think that I liked the old style on Cessna aircraft, you know the lever between the seats always worked little or nothing to maintain didn't care if the battery was dead or not. Just saying, oh well back in the dark ages.

I'm taking everyone advice and will use a conventional flap switch on my -7.

If there was a way to have manual flaps without reinventing the wheel I'd go that way.
In all my flying there were very few aircraft that had electric flaps....and none that I flew regularly. I'm definitely old school in this regard...

Now when it comes to the modern panels...I'm all in ;)

Back