What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky-Tec NL starter casting failure and improvements...

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I installed my first NL starter many years ago in my Cessna, and when we built our RV7 I chose the same starter. I have had great performance from it until last week, after getting some fuel at the pumps my starter failed me...

I had a short reversal burst from the prop... and with only a whir coming from the starter I suspected that the kickback protection system (KPS) pin must have broken.

After towing the plane back to the hangar and removing the cowling, parts began falling out :(

Unfortunately the starter ripped itself up rather than braking the pin! The casting just ripped apart and fractured at the tap holes.

I contacted Sky-Tec and shared some photos and they promptly shipped a replacement rebuild.

It appears that the casting has changed a bit from my original REV D to the newest REV F.

I sure like the starter and give a big thumbs up to the company!

Here is a shot of the original starter and the failed casting where the gear is internally supported.
img3416q.jpg

and here is a shot of the new REV F replacement where you can see some subtle changes.
img3444r.jpg

Sky-Tec

I had a similar failure and similar experience with the company. I shipped mine back to them and they repaired it, charging me something like $35 as I recall. Great service and quick turnaround. I understand the casing has been improved to help prevent failures such as mine, which was caused by a kickback during start.

Im just getting ready to order my starter. I have looked at the NL and also the HT. I am leaning to the HT. I know I don't want the lightweight model, but it is sure hard to figure out the best way to go for a starter!

Glad to hear that the company backs their product.

STARTER A-O.K.!!!!!!!!!!!!

....I have had several of the light weight starters from Sky-Tec and just had occasion to replace one again. This time I got the HT model instead of the light weight one and I must say the difference is absolutely incredible! It turns over the engine with my light weight prop at least twice as fast and it starts like a dream. I only wish I had known this a long time ago as I could have saved myself a lot of grief. This is the second starter ring gear and third starter on this airplane. After seeing how the new one performs I am convinced this will most likely be the last I will need. I didn't have room for the NL model, but was told by Sky-Tec it performs even better with more cranking power than the HT model. I couldn't be more pleased with this product or this companies customer service. Best, Allan...:D:D

The NL design started with a smaller shear pin diameter. Upsizing the shear pin may have helped find the limits of the gearcase ;)

Back