What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Mounting Holes

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Prop Mounting Orientation Verification

I am trying to verify the installation of my propeller. The Hartzell documentation shows two examples - R flange and F flange. Trying to correlate that to the prop itself and the flywheel there are some differences. On my flywheel there are two NON-protruding sockets - leading me to believe this is a R flange. But on my prop there is only 1 hole that is not countersunk.

So other the obvious alignment of having the non-countersunk hole line up with one of the non-protruding sockets, is there any other orientation to take into account? Does it matter which non-protruding socket to use?

WP_20121129_007.jpg

WP_20121129_008.jpg

Last edited:
This is covered in the Hartzell manual, you have to wade thru a lot of stuff to find it, as I recall. Short answer, it doesn't matter.

Thanks, I just reviewed the installation manual again for the R flange installation and it makes no reference to there being more than one indexing socket.

I'll give them a call on Monday to confirm, but for this model of prop they don't have anything that indicates there should be more than one indexing socket.

Back