What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to OSH - What should I bring?

MS19087

Well Known Member
I did a search and didn't come up with a prior thread discussing this - I'm preparing a checklist for my flight into OSH. I'm including procedural things like trip planning, NOTAM review, Arrivals procedure, etc. Also a list of Personal items (clothes, sunscreen, etc).

How about things I will be needing for my plane? I'm thinking the following:

1) Canopy cover
2) Oil
3) Tow bar ???
4) Tie down kit
5) Basic Tools for enroute maintenance/repair
6) Spare tire tubes
7) Towels & Cleaners (for plexi & airframe)

After all - if I can't get it in OSH, were in the world can I? I'm sure this isn't complete, but any obvious item(s) missing?

While not exactly necessary, it's not a bad idea to bring along cowl plugs and a pitot tube cover. I doubt that any birds will decide to build a nest in your inlet overnight, but some ornery kid might stuff a pop can in there or something.

Another item to consider is a way to secure your flight controls to keep your ailerons/elevators/rudder from flapping in the breeze.

And, if your RV is REALLY spectacular ... some crime scene tape to cordon off the plane and some white masking tape to make an outline of a body behind the wing -- and a note that says, "The last person to touch this plane ended up in the morgue."

:D :D :D

No tow bar needed. All other items look good. :)

Depends on what you are flying and how much it rains. Some actually bring boards to park on so wheels don't sink in the sod/mud. If you have a trike, I would bring the tow bar. Especially if you have a RV-10.

Depends on what you are flying and how much it rains. Some actually bring boards to park on so wheels don't sink in the sod/mud. If you have a trike, I would bring the tow bar. Especially if you have a RV-10.

I attended "Sloshkosh 2010" and yeah, having some pieces of plywood to park the tires upon was definitely the smart thing to do. Saw a few airplanes with the mains sitting happily on small plywood rectangles... saw many airplanes sunk into the mud up almost to their axles too. I'm definitely going to make myself some plywood pieces for both the mains and one for the tailwheel too.

No tow bar needed. All other items look good. :)
Absolutely not true, if you have a nosedragger. As a test- go taxi onto some grass, preferably slightly damp, then push your airplane backwards 90deg into a parking spot 20 feet away, without a tow bar. Cause chances are good you'll have to do exactly that at Oshkosh.

The -10 folks are generally very good about bringing towbars, the rest of the RV community, not so much.

Hmmm. I didn't see ANY RVs with/using a tow bar. IF in the off chance you have to parallel park your "A" model on some tight country lane, you CAN just push down on the tail a bit to raise the nose. Yeah, I'm ready for all the naysayers, bring it on. :D

I do like the small boards to park on so you don't sink into the soft sod though.

I did a search and didn't come up with a prior thread discussing this - I'm preparing a checklist for my flight into OSH. I'm including procedural things like trip planning, NOTAM review, Arrivals procedure, etc. Also a list of Personal items (clothes, sunscreen, etc).

How about things I will be needing for my plane? I'm thinking the following:

1) Canopy cover
2) Oil
3) Tow bar ???
4) Tie down kit
5) Basic Tools for enroute maintenance/repair
6) Spare tire tubes
7) Towels & Cleaners (for plexi & airframe)

After all - if I can't get it in OSH, were in the world can I? I'm sure this isn't complete, but any obvious item(s) missing?
Big paper sign that says where you desire to park. Your big boy pants (for arrival and landing). ;)

Last edited:
Here's our list -

Well, you asked, so here's the list my husband & I use in his RV-6...

RV Packing List for staying in a hotel:

pills/medicine/first aid kit
cosmetic bag/shaving kit
cell phones & chargers
sunscreen/lip balm
sunglasses
hats
bug repellant(?)
flashlight(?)
chairs(?)
cameras & batteries/charger
shampoo,conditioner,soap,toothpaste
backpacks
hair dryer(?)
water bottles
brush & comb
snacks
toolbag - oil, windscreen cleaner, cordless screwdriver
tie downs
towels for OshKosh dorms...(the provided ones are thin!)
jeans, shorts, shirts
undies, socks
shoes, flip-flops (2 prs. shoes for OshKosh)
rain jacket
belt(s)
-----------------------------------------------------
for Camping in the RV, add:

tent
mattresses
pillows & cases
sheets
sleeping bags
hat lights (great for night trips to port-a-john!):D
trash bags
tote for shower
towels

Hope this helps!:)

Hmmm. I didn't see ANY RVs with/d wiusing a tow bar. IF in the off chance you have to parallel park your "A" model on some tight country lane, you CAN just push down on the tail a bit to raise the nose. Yeah, I'm ready for all the naysayers, bring it on. ]

I tried that once on my -7A to slide a board under the nose wheel. It doesn't work well, requiring much more weight/pressure than I thought it would and creates unnecessary stress on the stab. You don't have nearly the leverage as Cessnas because of the shorter moment arm of the empennage. I also learned that some planes developed cracks in the stab spar because of it.

I won't even attempt it again and decline any offers of do-gooder helpers to do it. But YMMV

My towbar travels with me.

Mike

Also

You don't mention whether or not you have a tip up or slider. If tip up, bring a roll of soft tack painters tape to tape the front canopy joint before you put your canopy cover on.

Although not equipment related, I have learned to always keep an eye on the weather as you are enjoying the show. If there is an approaching storm give yourself enough time to get to your plane to get the canopy cover on.

Some very good additions

I like the plywood idea and others as well. This has been helpful. Thanks!

Bugspray. Definitely bugspray. Didn't see you mention if you're camping or not, but the onfield stores are typically fairly well equipped, if a little pricey, for food and sundries. We did Sploshkosh '10, and things like rain gear and mosquito repellant were worth their weight in gold. We've done OSH with more ("stuff"), and with less, and we have fun regardless. This year will be our third trip to OSH (and first as an RV builder) and we're really looking forward to it!

Good stuff

This is a helpful thread as I'm planning on flying in this year.

I don't want to spring for a canopy cover since this is likely the only time I'll need it - thoughts?

A lightweight canopy cover is a must to carry at all times. Not only does it keep prying eyes out of the plane but it protects from the interior getting to hot to touch in hot weather and also doubles as a ground cloth if the weather gets wet. As said before, bring lots of cash and a credit card. Have a great trip.

For camping: Earplugs to help shut out the late-night music from under the big balloon. A small piece of tarp for kicking back to watch the airshow or for taking a nap in the shade. A short section of rope/line for hanging wet towels, etc. and a few clothespins. Enough line and stakes to tie off your tent to help prevent collapse by thunderstorm gusts.

Take at least one blank check. It may be rare, but I have heard of fuel stops that do not take credit cards.

Bring a headset lamp. They work great for the late night visit to the little green plastic buildings.

Comfortable walking shoes and flip-flops for the showers.

I know one RV-4 pilot who didn't bring any shirts. Every day he made it a point of picking up a free vendor shirt or buying one. At the end of the week, he packed up a box and sent all of his new clothes home via UPS.

Tape

Since we always get at least one driving rain, I'm thinking of taping off or covering my static ports because they always have a little water in them by the end of the week....throwing the Dynon AS indicator off by about 30 Kts or more . Anyone have a better idea than placing (bright) colored tape over the ports for the week? I have Port and Starboard ports on the 6A.

Back