What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Dynon D2

DFlyer

Well Known Member
Dynon added a new product to its Pocket Panel line, the D2. And dropped the price on the D1 to $1,195. The D2 is $1,425.

We designed these products more for type certificated aircraft than experimentals, but found that a fair number of builders bought the D1 as a backup. The D2 adds Wi-Fi connectivity to send data (attitude, etc.) to various aviation apps (WingX Pro7, iHUD remote, AOPA FlyQ, BK myWingMan, and Air Navigation Pro). And also adds a G-Meter.

We are showing both the D1 and D2 at AOPA Summit.
http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/Literature/Dynon-Pocket-Panel.pdf

D2-Pocket-Panel.jpg

D2-Pocket-Panel-GMeter-Small.jpg

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

Last edited:
We don't do trade-ins. What we've found is whatever we would offer as a trade-in allowance is much lower than what our used products are worth on the open market. So it is better to just offer the used one for sale online.

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

Interesting... nice to see the innovation continuing at Dynon.

Looking now for a WiFi interface for SkyView ;)

I love that VSI G-meter screen. Would like that in the next software revision for my D10A.

Dynon D2

Here are some pictures of the new Dynon D2 in my RV-10. I replaced my D1 with the D2 in the RV-10 and it works awesome with WingX. I have the D2 permanently wired to the aircrafts power so it comes on with the avionics switch. The D2 is the perfect IFR backup, it will run on internal power for up to four hours and does not connect to the aircrafts Pitot or Static system.

I only have one complaint, it is too easy to remove from the plane and my neighbors keep borrowing it for their certified planes...

D2 in EFIS mode screen
10178554335_590cca87a9_b.jpg

D2 in G Meter mode screen
10178555215_70db8581c7_b.jpg

WingX screen capture from last Fridays flight home from Arlington with the D2 sending data to the iPad
10178671533_53c9c82428_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Hi Rob,
Is the D2 attached to your dashtop or to your roll bar brace? Is that a custom mount?

D10A,??

Dynon added a new product to its Pocket Panel line, the D2. And dropped the price on the D1 to $1,195. The D2 is $1,425.

We designed these products more for type certificated aircraft than experimentals, but found that a fair number of builders bought the D1 as a backup. The D2 adds Wi-Fi connectivity to send data (attitude, etc.) to various aviation apps (WingX Pro7, iHUD remote, AOPA FlyQ, BK myWingMan, and Air Navigation Pro). And also adds a G-Meter.

We are showing both the D1 and D2 at AOPA Summit.
http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/Literature/Dynon-Pocket-Panel.pdf

D2-Pocket-Panel.jpg

D2-Pocket-Panel-GMeter-Small.jpg

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

I know this is asking for speculation on future products/upgrades,,
Any talk of WiFi connectivity for the D10A?

Inquiring minds would like to know :)

Great product

Add ADSB-in and youll capture the market. Im still deciding on my ADSB IPAD solution

I used a Ram V-Shape mount to connect it to the roll bar brace.
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049048056066085/Default.aspx

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

I'm shopping too and saw this for attaching to the roll bar brace. Fits .5" to 1.25" tubes and has the B size (1") ball which is what the D2 comes with.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045050051049090085/Default.aspx

RAM-B-231Z.jpg

Pressure alt?

It would be great if you could enter the pressure and have the GPS do a conversion to give you pressure alt using the lapse rate or via a built in static port like my watch.

Is there a reason why folks wouldnt want pressure alt?

Replace Compass?

What are everyone's thoughts about this unit replacing a compass on the support brace? I've never been happy with my vertical card compass and this unit can't be less accurate! Man would it be easy to wire-in!

Thoughts?

DWS

It would be great if you could enter the pressure and have the GPS do a conversion to give you pressure alt using the lapse rate or via a built in static port like my watch.

Is there a reason why folks wouldnt want pressure alt?

There are a bunch of issues here:

1) Static in a cockpit is generally hundreds of feet off from the right altitude, due to the airflow around the aircraft. It can be high or low depending on the plane, and changes with airspeed. This is why planes have external static ports.

2) Static in the cockpit doesn't work in pressurized planes

3) GPS altitude isn't wrong. In fact, on a perfectly standard day, pressure altitude and GPS altitude are the same. Personally, I've never seen a standard day though.

If we had GPS when we started flying, we would all just fly GPS altitude. We use pressure altitude because it's what we have, and when everyone uses the same baro setting, if you are in the same place, you are using the same altitude reference. But that works because the altimeter doesn't know or care if the day is standard or not, it just knows the pressure where you are right now. So there's no way to model this in GPS, since the deviation from the ground station is totally unknown without a pressure sensor.

There is a great thread here on VAF on GPS vs Pressure altitude. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=89446

So to sum it up, yes, people would want pressure altitude, but there is no way to do that in a certified plane without hooking to the static system, which would require the D2 to be certified.

What are everyone's thoughts about this unit replacing a compass on the support brace? I've never been happy with my vertical card compass and this unit can't be less accurate! Man would it be easy to wire-in!

The D1/D2 give you GPS ground track, not magnetic heading. So it isn't a direct replacement for a compass if that's what you actually want. In some cases it's much better, but it isn't the same.

In a certified plane, you cannot remove the compass for this. That would require this to be a compass and to be TSO'd to the compass requirements. In an experimental, it's all up to you.

Dynon people,

I would advice you to build a D3 based on D2 which has pitot and static port, so D6 owners may be able to upgrade to a lighter and smaller backup unit with the plus that is a wifi data transmitter to ipad:D

Cheers,

WTB Dynon D1

I am in the market for a used D1 if you are looking to upgrade to the D2. Send me a private message.

Thanks, Dan

Is D2 a true backup AI

is this Dynon D1 or D2 a truly good backup attitude indicator? Or is it not quit stable enough? Put another way, would this be better than partial panel in IMC if the AI was lost? Thanks

is this Dynon D1 or D2 a truly good backup attitude indicator? Or is it not quit stable enough? Put another way, would this be better than partial panel in IMC if the AI was lost? Thanks

I have flown behind the D1. It would (in my opinion of course) be better than partial panel. I think the D1 (and I'm sure the D2) are good backup attitude indicators.

Steve,
The D1/D2 are true attitude indicators. They use the same algorithms as our panel mounted products like the D6 and D10A. There's no reason they should be "less stable" in attitude than other indicators.

The D1/D2 are meant as backups which require no installation in any aircraft. The downside is airspeed, altitude, and heading are all GPS based, not air data based because they can't hook to pitot and static. If you want a device that is permanently mounted and can hook to pitot/static, there are other options but they also cost more.

Back