What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LOE 2013

dav1111

Well Known Member
NEWSFLASH --- LOE 2013 will be held this year in Colorado at the Fort Collins-Loveland Municipal Airport (KFNL) on October 4-6, 2013.

After 2 years of bad weather in Weatherford, Oklahoma we are have worked out a deal to bring back LOE to the State where it first started, just at a different airport.

More news to follow in the next few weeks.

Russ Daves & Russ Kamtz
Co-Chairs LOE-2013

Rocky Mountain High

That's gonna be a short flight for us... won't even qualify as a cross country. :eek:

Regards,

I'm taking my wife on a 15-day anniversary trip in the -10 or the -9A. We have talked about going out West. Is LOE something she may enjoy? She's not really into planes, but this would be her first time at any aviation event without our 7 kids (or fewer when we had fewer).

I'm taking my wife on a 15-day anniversary trip in the -10 or the -9A. We have talked about going out West. Is LOE something she may enjoy? She's not really into planes, but this would be her first time at any aviation event without our 7 kids (or fewer when we had fewer).

Jesse,
LOE has always been more about the people than the airplanes. It's a low-key, hang-out-with-friends-you-just-met weekend. I can't promise your wife will like it, but if she enjoys being around great, fun people I think the chances are good she'll love it. It's been my favorite fly-in since 2005, and I'm hoping my budget will let me go this year. Give it a try...and Happy Anniversary in advance!

Is this different from the Land of Enchantment fly-in that has taken place in NM?

Jesse,
If you do go let me know I will be sure to go and bring my wife. If you need a place to stay when passing through you know ya'll can at my place.
Tim

Is this different from the Land of Enchantment fly-in that has taken place in NM?

After moving from New Mexico we wanted to keep LOE as the acronym and as a result of a vote poll through vansairforce.net the acronym now stands for "LOTS OF EXPERIMENTALS".

I expect at least 100 RV's to attend!

I'd have to fly my Emeraude since this 10 isn't near done. But, since its not pretty I'm not gonna let people shred me like they did that poor guy in the RV9 a couple years ago.

I'd have to fly my Emeraude since this 10 isn't near done. But, since its not pretty I'm not gonna let people shred me like they did that poor guy in the RV9 a couple years ago.

If it's comparable to that RV-9, maybe you shouldn't be flying it at all!
That RV-9 had more than "pretty" issues!

I'm going to pencil that in. Won't stay long as it's a 4th honeymoon, but sounds like fun.

Tim, we may very well take you up on your hangar apartment offer on our way out to Sedona, where we are thinking of going. It's out there or Maine so far, but I'd rather,go out west. We've seen a lot of the NE already, but very little of the west. Anybody with a hangar apartment out in AZ or NM?

There is still the EAA Chapter 179 Fly-In with the same name. It predates the RV specific LOE by a fair number of years, and we are unlikely to change the name. I like them both! The chapter 179 Fly-IN is September 7 at KAEG, Albuquerque, NM. http://www.loefi.org/

Hope to see you at either or both.

Your wife will love it

Research things to do in this area (fort Collins/ Loveland). She will love old town FC, shopping, Rocky Mountain national park, and the weather. everyone will see why this place has been voted best place to live more than once.

Chris m

KFNL View

Here is a snap shot I took a while back showing the view from KFNL ramp area.
Long's Peak (14,259') and Mt. Meeker with snow, Twin Sisters in foreground.

20130530_112545Q.jpg

There is still the EAA Chapter 179 Fly-In with the same name. It predates the RV specific LOE by a fair number of years, and we are unlikely to change the name. I like them both! The chapter 179 Fly-IN is September 7 at KAEG, Albuquerque, NM. http://www.loefi.org/

Hope to see you at either or both.

That's the one I was referring to when I originally asked. I was wondering why that website showed pictures from 2012 if LOE was in Oklahoma last year, and why they were posting plans for early September in NM if they were going to be in CO in October instead. Ya'll really know how to confuse us from the Southeast. I may start a SNF in GA or AL in early March just to get back at you.

Can anybody describe the difference between the CO/Oct/LOE and the NM/Sept/LOE?

Thanks.

That's the one I was referring to when I originally asked. I was wondering why that website showed pictures from 2012 if LOE was in Oklahoma last year, and why they were posting plans for early September in NM if they were going to be in CO in October instead. Ya'll really know how to confuse us from the Southeast. I may start a SNF in GA or AL in early March just to get back at you.

Can anybody describe the difference between the CO/Oct/LOE and the NM/Sept/LOE?

Thanks.

The Colorado LOE is "Lots of Experiamentals" Charity Fly-In that originally started in Colorado, moved to New Mexico for a number of years and then to Weatherford Oklahoma for 3 years and now is back in Colorado. The Colorado LOE is primarly an RV Fly-In that raises money via a raffle of donated aviation products.

In October of 2009, Pamela Angell from the Mesilla Valley Community of Hope and Jim Thomas from the Lee & Beulah Moor Children's Home split over $10,000.00 raised at the LOE RV Fly In Charity Event held at the Dona Ana County Airport.

I do not have the figure that was raised in 2008, however in 2007 $14,000.00 was given out (split 50/50) to the Mesilla Valley Community of Hope and the Lee & Beulah Moor Children's Home.

At such Fly In charity event we only accept cash for the purchase of raffle tickets, and raffle off prizes that are donated by various aviation companies. We hold the raffle on Saturday night in conjunction with a catered banquet. Every dollar paid to purchase a raffle ticket goes directly to the charity or charities at the end of the banquet.

The past three years the LOE RV Fly In has been held in Weatherford, Oklahoma and we have donated 100% of the proceeds raised to the Backpack Food 4 Kids program in Weatherford, Oklahoma. During such 3 year period we have given the Backpack Food 4 Kids in excess of $22,000.00 in cash at such charity event.

It is my understanding that the New Mexico LOE fly in event started as a regional EAA fly in.

Hope this explains the difference.

Russ clearly explained the difference. I generally think of the one that will be in Colorado this year as an RV event. The other one is an EAA flyin.

LOE 2013 Reason To Come

This is a really long post but I hope each of you read it to the end.

As Co-Chairs for the LOE annual fly-in and raffle this year, which is being held on October 4-6, 2013, we want to encourage all of you who previously attended in past years and those who have yet to come and consider being a part of this great charity raffle and Fly-In . the LOE (Lots of Experimentals) Fly In is being held at the Ft. Collins / Loveland Airport (KFNL) on October 4-6, 2013.
For the past 10 years we have raised from the raffle event an average of at least $10,000.00 each year that is donated to local charities.

The following is a write up from a local newspaper about what one of the charities had to say about the difference the $6,000.00 donation they received at the fly-in in 2010 made to there operation :

Food 4 Kids

Feeding Weatherford's `chronically' hungry children

Published February 9, 2011 – Weatherford Daily News

Julie Harding, Lifestyles Editor

The number of chronically hungry children in our community is growing, according to Weatherford Food 4 Kids Coordinator Barbara Jones.
"It's heartbreaking to think there are kids in Weatherford, Oklahoma that are chronically hungry," Jones said. "Not just hungry - chronically hungry."
Jones said "chronically hungry" means "Friday through Monday they have no food or very little food" and the only time they are able to eat are during school hours when breakfast and lunch is served.
According to the Food 4 Kids Weatherford program, last year there were 43 children receiving assistance - this year there are 89 children receiving backpacks filled with food for the weekend.
Food 4 Kids is a program of the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma, designed especially for elementary age children. Chronically hungry children identified by school personnel receive a backpack filled with non-perishable, child-friendly food to sustain them over weekends and school holidays when school program meals are not available.
"These kids have to take care of their backpacks and return them clean and in good shape when they come back to school," Jones said. "One of our kids came back to school with a dirty backpack, covered in leaves. When the counselor talked to him about the condition of his backpack, he said his parents were taking his food, so he was hiding the backpack from them outside under a pile of leaves. We hear some really heartbreaking stories."
Jones said the program received a break this year at an annual fly-in at the Thomas P. Stafford Regional Airport. She said pilots from around the country get together once a year at the annual "flyin" and donate money to a good cause in the area. This year they donated $6,000 to the program, but with the increase in chronically hungry kids the money for next year is still in short supply.
"If it weren't for that money (received from the fly-in) we wouldn't be having the Food 4 Kids program this year," Jones said. "If the money runs out, there is no program."
Food 4 Kids supporter and teacher Bruce Belanger said the benefits of the program mean more than helping with hunger pangs.
"It's not just about the food," Belanger said. "There are ripple effects, because these kids are able to focus better on their schoolwork and their behavior improves when they aren't hungry all the time."
Community members can help by Volunteering at the Food Bank or at an area school. They can also make a financial donation to the program - $200 will provide enough food for one child for the entire school year. A gift of $5,000 will provide enough food for 25 chronically hungry children for an entire school year.
End of Story

For those of you who do not know, at such Fly In charity event we only accept cash , at the event, for the purchase of raffle tickets ($20.00 each), and raffle off prizes that are donated by various aviation companies. We hold the raffle on Saturday night in conjunction with a catered banquet. Every dollar paid to purchase a raffle ticket goes directly to the charity or charities at the end of the banquet, I.e. nothing received from the raffle ticket sales goes to overhead or expenses. What other charity fund raiser do you know that donates 100% of all monies raised directly to such charity?

The past three years such Fly In has been held in Weatherford, Oklahoma and we have donated in excess of $22,000.00 in cash to the Backpack Food 4 Kids program in Weatherford, Oklahoma . Due to extreme weather in Central Oklahoma the past two years we have decided to move the Charity Fly-In to "dryer" pastures.

LOE 2013 Specifics:

· October 4-6, 2013

Fuel Discount .50 Per Gallon for registered attendees

Registration Form may be downloaded at: http://www.loeflyin.org/Home_Page.html

This Year we are going to split the raffle money between HONOR FLIGHT (read about it:
http://www.reporterherald.com/news/...d-men-among-122-veterans-aboard-2012-honorand
and the BACKPACK FOOD 4 KIDS programs (read about it: http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...k-program-children-help-provide-food-families

A representative of the HONOR FLIGHT and the BACKPACK FOOD 4 KIDS programs will be present at the Saturday night Banquet to accept the money raised.

Both the Honor Flight and Backpack Food 4 Kids programs are registered charities and have IRC 401(c)(3) status, so if you cannot attend but still want to make a donation you can mail a check directly to Russ Kamptz at 1900 Ponderosa Place, Loveland, CO 80438, made payable to either "Honor Flight" or Backpack Food 4 Kids and will will also hand out your checks to the representatives at the banquet and ask them to mail you a receipt. For those of you who have helped in prior years we want to thank you again for your support and hope each of you will come have a wonderful weekend with lots of great folks.

Russ Daves
and
Russ Kamtz
Co-Chairs - LOE 2013

Last edited:
Just a quick update to save some returned letters...

Russ Kamtz's zip code is 80538.

Here's a [not-so-short] video showing some of the local terrain. It's FLAT near the airport and to the east. If you don't look west, you'd think you were in Kansas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0MdfjmN4QU

The video is playing at 2x speed... so don't worry, I'm not going to outrun any RV's with my Midget Mustang!

Looking forward to seeing 100's of RVs in Loveland!

Somebody buy my RV-3 kit [see the classifieds, page 3 as of this posting] and I'll give you free hangar space for the week!

Last edited:
Same ZIP code on registration form

Need to update the registration form as the ZIP code has the same 80438 error.

Any hotel recommendations and is airplane camping permitted?

Last edited:
Russ,

Great planning! Glad it's a week before AOPA Summit since we've committed to be at the Summit for Pilots N Paws. Personally, I think the return to Colorado is great and can't wait to attend! See ya there!

I was asked about what you recieve for the $35.00 Registration fee:

T-shirt,

Ticket to Saturday night dinner banquet

50 Cent 100LL gas discount

Clean Restrooms, tie downs, great FBO Service.

Chance to win great prizes at the Charity Raffle (assuming you buy at least one raffle ticket).

List of donated prizes will be posted shortly before the Fly-In at:

http://www.loeflyin.org/Home_Page.html

Plus you get to enjoy my company, along with Russ Kamtz

Some usefull information finally.

I was asked about what you recieve for the $35.00 Registration fee:

T-shirt,

Ticket to Saturday night dinner banquet

50 Cent 100LL gas discount

Clean Restrooms, tie downs, great FBO Service.

Chance to win great prizes at the Charity Raffle (assuming you buy at least one raffle ticket).

List of donated prizes will be posted shortly before the Fly-In at:

Plus you get to enjoy my company, along with Russ Kamtz
:(

HOTEL INFO - Advise Reservation Person LOE Fly In Rate

All Rates include tax:

Holiday Inn Express: (970) 663-0057
$95.99 /night - or - $109.99 /night for a suite

Candlewood Suites: (970) 667-5444
$84 /night (No Breakfast)

Embassy Suites: 1-800-362-2779
2 room Suite - $129 (Includes airport shuttle, breakfast and cocktails at open
hosted bar)

Hotel rooms are filling up quickly, it is recommended you make your
reservations immediately.

If staying at the Holiday Inn or Candewood Suites local pilots will provide shuttle service to and from hotel. Phone Number to call for pickup from hotel will be given out at Registration.

Last edited:
Just booked at the Embassy.

Since I've not been to an LOE fly-in, what is happening? How do I sell this to a significant other? Besides the obvious "its an opportunity to fly, meet other airplane drivers yada yada" which really appeals to the pilot.

HOTEL INFO - Advise Reservation Person LOE Fly In Rate

All Rates include tax:

Holiday Inn Express: (970) 663-0057
$95.99 /night - or - $109.99 /night for a suite

Candlewood Suites: (970) 667-5444
$84 /night (No Breakfast)

Embassy Suites: 1-800-362-2779
2 room Suite - $129 (Includes airport shuttle, breakfast and cocktails at open
hosted bar)

Hotel rooms are filling up quickly, it is recommended you make your
reservations immediately.

If staying at the Holiday Inn or Candewood Suites local pilots will provide shuttle service to and from hotel. Phone Number to call for pickup from hotel will be given out at Registration.

Since I've not been to an LOE fly-in, what is happening? How do I sell this to a significant other? Besides the obvious "its an opportunity to fly, meet other airplane drivers yada yada" which really appeals to the pilot.

That is part of the point. This one is for a whole bunch of nuttin' happening. Just sitting around seeing how much BS you can consume or impart. Oh, and it is for charity of course.

I haven't been to an LOE fly-in since one of the very first ones in Las Cruces, so take this with a grain of salt, but I seem to remember hearing stories of spouses sharing a rental car and taking in the local sights and shopping.

For anyone who might be interested in doing this in Loveland, there is an open-air shopping area just east of I-25 and the airport. Less than a 5 minute drive. There are also factory outlet shops on about a 1.5 mile final to Rwy 33.

Beyond shopping, Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park are approximately 45-60 minutes straight west. The drive through Thompson Canyon on Hwy 34 west out of Loveland is pretty impressive for most folks. If you really want to be adventurous, you can continue through RMNP over Trail Ridge Road... The highest continuous paved road in North America. It comes out the west side of the continental divide near Grand Lake and Granby, official home of Dave Cook who's pretty active on this board. Trail Ridge Road may or may not be open due to snowfall by the first part of October. I'll defer to Dave Cook's more extensive knowledge of the annual closure timeline.

From Granby, you can turn around and come back over Trail Ridge or you could head south toward Winter Park and Berthoud pass. If you really want to spend some time in the mountains, you could head north a d west a bit more and spend a few days in Steamboat. Obviously, some of this stuff is a day trip and some might be an option if you want to extend your stay in Colorado with more flying adventures or park the plane at FNL and do some driving.

If you're interested in theatre, Google Lincoln Center Theater in Fort Collins or the Rialto theater in Loveland.

The total population within a 15 me radius of FNL is probably somewhere around 250,000 so a person can usually find *something* to do. If you extend the radius to the Denver area, then you're looking at pretty unlimited possibilities.

I'm typing this from my iPhone, so I apologize if it's a bit disjointed. I'm happy to answer any specific questions to the best of my abilities. I've lived full-time in Loveland since 1979 and my parents have owned land and businesses in the area since the mid-60's. My little brother is a real estate agent in town in case anyone falls in love with the place and wants to stay!

That is part of the point. This one is for a whole bunch of nuttin' happening. Just sitting around seeing how much BS you can consume or impart. Oh, and it is for charity of course.

Hopefully a breakfast flight into the hills on Saturday morning.

your wives will love it here

Your wives will love it here! As Rod stated above, if she can't find something fun to do here, she isn't trying very hard. I suspect his realtor brother will get a few calls.!:)

Chris M

We are also trying to set up a couple of free tours with transportation provided. More info to follow.

Rooms are filing up fast. The rooms blocked for the Holiday Inn Express are all booked. Rooms are still available at the Embassy Suites (Block Room Rate Code "PAC") and the Candlewood Suites. Info for booking is on the LOE Web Site:

The registration form needs to be RECEIVED at least one week prior to the event, i.e. by September 27, 2013 if you want a T-Shirt and a guaranteed meal at the Saturday night banquet. We have to place the order for T-Shirts and let the caterer know the number of meals to prepare by 9/27/13.

Russ Daves & Russ Kamtz

I think the Logistics Officer has us all set. We'll be a quick in-out Sat./Sun.

LOE

Jay and Carol are out. Sorry to miss. Maybe next time
We like camping, , so hope some day LOE is held at Johnson Creek ;-)

Last edited:
schedule of events?

I am down at Erie(KEIK) and would like to come up and see the event and meet some other RV'rs. Is there a schedule of activities? I'd rather not show up as everyone goes on the brew tours...

Thanks

Aaron

I am down at Erie(KEIK) and would like to come up and see the event and meet some other RV'rs. Is there a schedule of activities? I'd rather not show up as everyone goes on the brew tours...

Thanks

Aaron

Come on up Aaron, there will be lots of RV pilots around during the day on Friday afternoon and on Saturday.

2013 LOE Prize Donations:

Delta Pop Aviation will donate two blade type antennas ($69.95 each) Choice of either a Transponder or a ADS-B / UAT antenna.

JD Air Parts will donate $200.00 Gift Card for purchase of any product

Rick Peck will donate a P-Mag system he won in 2010 at the LOE Raffle $1,245.00 (Never Installed)

Tosten Manufacturing will donate a $139.00 CS- 8 control grip for an RV

Vertical Power will donate $500 off the purchase of a VP-X Pro or Sport.
(Must purchase directly from Vertical Power). Valid until October 31, 2014.

Brad Dement of E-MAG will donate a P114 set (ignition/harness/adapters $1,377.00
*** PLUS the winner will have the option of purchasing a second set at 20% off list price ($275.40 value)
must be ordered within 15 days after LOE.

Walt Aronow of ExpAircraft.com will donate $95.00 Transponder certification and $225.00 Dynamic prop balance

Fairings-Etc. - $300.00 Set of upper and lower main intersection fairings

Performance Propellers - $500.00 Gift Certificate towards a Propeller

Vans Aircraft $100 Gift Certificate

Mel Asberry $450.00 Gift Certificate towards DAR Inspection

Vetterman Exhaust - $1000.00 4 cylinder 1.5" Crossover Exhaust System

Classic Aero Designs is donating several sets of stick boots

Airflow Performance is donating multiple items

Hopefully more to come

TOTAL RAFFLE PRIZE VALUE TO DATE $6,546.30 +

LOE has lost a wonderful couple, and my co-chair of the LOE event for the past 3 years, Russ & Carol Kamtz, who were killed in a crash at Jackson Hole Wyoming around noon today. LOE 2013 is scheduled at Russ Kamtz home field at Loveland, Colorado. Please keep the Kampz family in your prayers.

Back