What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yet another build delay ...

jwilbur

Well Known Member
Since I started this build 18 months ago I've faced several irritating delays. Some have been financial - waiting to buy the wing kit for example. Others have been messing up and needed to reorder parts or buying some new tool and waiting for it to arrive. Or travel for work. Or ... The one thing they all have in common is that they were enormously frustrating. Well, I've got yet another delay to my build, an indirect financial delay, which I have to say just doesn't bother me at all this time.

Surprise! Meet Amelia Mary Wilbur:
Amelia1.jpg

She is 22 weeks old in this ultrasound image taken yesterday and she's very active and doing just fine. And yes, she is smiling at me, in case you weren't sure. Her oldest brother is 15 and learning to drive. Then 9 year old twin boys and then Amelia's big sister who is almost 8. Big spread in age with our kids and we couldn't be happier!

I was just starting my tanks when we found out she was on the way and I knew immediately the airplane was going to take a bit longer as a result. Knowing this, my progress has slowed but not stopped. No hurry to finish the wings when I can't get the Fuse just yet, right? I'm doing the tank ribs at the moment - fun with proseal. We're trying to be financially creative in order to keep the build going, but the reality is it will take a little more time than planned. .... And who cares! For once, the build delay just doesn't seem to matter.

This news isn't exactly about airplanes or building directly, but my excitement I just can't contain and I thought I could share the news with VAF. We're on the older side now to be having a baby and my wife has had some issues in the past at this stage, so we're just taking it easy and asking the Lord for a low-stress and uneventful pregnancy the rest of the way. Lord willing, that's what we'll have and in another four months I'll post another picture.

Congratulations to us!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

A very worthy reason for a delay indeed! Congrats to you and the whole family! Looks like you will need an RV-20... isn't that the 7 seater? :D

Awesome news Joe.

We celebrated the 2nd birthday for my son today. I didn't really want kids, but now I couldn't live without them. It's an awesome experience.

Our little girl is expected to arrive in June sometime. I've been trying to come up with girl aviator names and haven't found one that my wife will sign-off on yet. But I'm still working on it and I've still got time.

Great news....

Been there, done that. Our young bloke is 10 months old today and now I've got a bloody second one on the way that's due in 3 months. Oh well, they good value at this age.

I should've listened to the KRviatrix and ordered the RV-10 though. :mad:

Congratulations! This is one delay you certainly do not have to feel bad about! Isn't it amazing that we can "homebuild" a child in only nine months and yet it takes years to finish a much less complicated RV?

Congratulations! This is one delay you certainly do not have to feel bad about! Isn't it amazing that we can "homebuild" a child in only nine months and yet it takes years to finish a much less complicated RV?

What an excellent observation!

Congrats!

on your new baby girl. Nice name, Amelia. It's the same one we gave our daughter. Who knows, maybe this will be a trend. Perhaps Amelia will be as popular as Michael was when I was born!:eek:

That's funny! It may be because mom's have a pretty good blue print by the origional homebuilder!:rolleyes:

Also Congrats Joe!! Mine is one and I am now starting to flip her around to get ready for the 7....:eek:

Update

Just thought I'd give a little update to this post. I've been able to make some progress on the build in the past months - more than anticipated, actually. Tanks are done, leading edges done with landing/taxi lights, and the tanks and leading edges are now on the spar.

But here's a picture of the reason for my delayed work. Her three older brothers and her older sister are just loving having her around. We are all thankfull to our gracious God for her safe arrival and health!

Amelia Mary Wilbur:
Born 9/10/2012

007a1.jpg

If you have to have a delay, yours is about as good as it gets. That is why I am building - so we can go visit our kids and grandkids!! Congratulations on your families new addition.

Maybe Van's will come up with a twin for you guys or just build another -10 and your wife can fly it.

Hmmm. Another -10. This is a most excellent idea. Then we'll have one seat left over for another kid. I'll talk this over with the wife and see what she says.

Delay no more!

Delay no more!

The new baby turned 6 months old, I ordered the fuse kit for my RV-10, and I made my VAF donation. It's shaping up to be a good week. Just thought I'd share.

Y'know, one reason I delayed flight training -- well, two reasons -- were my kids. First, with the tribe we raised (five of 'em) there was never enough money to even consider it. Second, for a family vacation we'd have needed a DC-3. :)

Congrats, and enjoy the kids and the build!

See what happens when you don't spend enough time in the shop!

Congratulations!

Bob burns

And yet another .....

So here we are 16 months later and we have another little blessing to add to our family. .... Surprisingly the RV-10 build delay this time has been minimal. That's probably because the older the others get, the more (actual) help they become.

I'm very proud to introduce Melody Anna Wilbur, just 2 hours old in this picture, born 1/13/2014 - healthy and happy (and Mom's doing fine, too):

IMG_20140114_063306_100-576x1024.jpg

Melody1_00-500x276.jpg

Last edited:
Simply wonderful. What a blessing.

Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

v/r,
dr

Beautiful

Beautiful little girl! Congratulations and bless you for your beautiful family. I think you need to update your profile;) I count 6 lucky kids in the picture.

congrats! hey, I see 6 kids. now an RV 10 has four seats. you may have to buld an RV 20? Enjoy your wonderful family because believe me they grow up to fast!!!

I'm about 4 months behind you....our first. Taking all next week off work to try to get my -7 panel rebuild done before she's born. Anyone want to trade a -7 for a -10, straight up? :)

Congrats!!

I'm at the stage right now where you were on the first post - my wife is 23 weeks with our first one, after 1 miscarriage and 4 rounds of in-vitro. I know it's going to interrupt my build process and I just don't care! :D

Congrats!!

I'm at the stage right now where you were on the first post - my wife is 23 weeks with our first one, after 1 miscarriage and 4 rounds of in-vitro. I know it's going to interrupt my build process and I just don't care! :D

Nice, we have been lucky, I don't know if we could have gone through what you have....

Thank you, everyone. Holding a newborn is a joy that never seems to get old. My wife and I are truly grateful to the Almighty Creator for his mercy and blessings to us.

Beautiful little girl! Congratulations and bless you for your beautiful family. I think you need to update your profile;) I count 6 lucky kids in the picture.
Yep. It's updated now. I'm starting to lose count.

Congratulations to you, too, Greg. I'll be watching for your announcement in about 17 weeks. Building an airplane is great, to be sure, but children are even better in my opinion. .... And you never forget the ones you can't take pictures of. There are three missing from the picture I posted. I think about them all the time.

Congratulations on another adorable child in the mix. When you finish this RV-10 then you can start on the next one while the spouse takes lessons. 8 family members = two pilots and two RV-10.
Looks like you have production line workers available so the second RV should not take as long.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A N942PT

Congratulations on another adorable child in the mix. When you finish this RV-10 then you can start on the next one while the spouse takes lessons. 8 family members = two pilots and two RV-10.
Looks like you have production line workers available so the second RV should not take as long.

My thoughts exactly! .... And the wife has talked about getting her PPL, so you never know.

Two thoughts:

1. If I had started building when there was a bun in the oven, then I would have started flying 20 yrs ago instead of five yrs ago. Can't turn back time, but I wish I could when it comes to flying.

2. I have a 17 yr old and 15 yr old. If there was one on the way right now, I would either be divorced and have married someone in their 20s or my wife and I would be completely freaking out right now. I am 3 yrs from freedom. Nothing wrong with more kids, another kid would be a huge surprise and I would be 65 before they were would of the house.

Congrats.

Back