What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick Magneto Maintenance

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
It was suggested by a member that we need a "Sticky" for magneto related items-------so here it is.

To start, here are a few links to prior threads that may be of assistance when working on the little spark makers.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=81285&highlight=SLICK

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=90987&highlight=SLICK

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=83808&highlight=SLICK

Thanks to Barry from Tucson for the idea--------he also made a tool to assist with the point setting, hopefully a photo will be up soon.

Lasar magneto troubleshooting help needed

I had my Lasar slick mags 500hr rebuild about 15 hours ago. All was fine. Yesterday the Lasar light came on which indicates they defaulted to manual ( no electronic timing). The manual just says to have service center look at them. I did that and the AP said he knows how to time them, has the box for that but no paperwork that says what to do, troubleshoot what may be causing the Lasar to fail. Anyone have notes etc on where to begin?
Thanks

I had my Lasar slick mags 500hr rebuild about 15 hours ago. All was fine. Yesterday the Lasar light came on which indicates they defaulted to manual ( no electronic timing). The manual just says to have service center look at them. I did that and the AP said he knows how to time them, has the box for that but no paperwork that says what to do, troubleshoot what may be causing the Lasar to fail. Anyone have notes etc on where to begin?
Thanks

The indicator light will come on if there is no or low power to the LASAR system. The voltage for the light should come from a different circuit.

Your A&P should have a subscription to the Champion SLICK mag publications. He can download the LASAR manuals from their website. IF he works on mags, I would expect him to have a subscription. IF working on mags is not something he does a lot of, the subscription would be a waste of his money.

Champion LASAR manual L-1502C (LASAR Installation, Operation, and Troubleshooting Manual) should have came with the system and been used for the installation. The latest copy can be downloaded from Champion IF you have a subscription. The manual has not been updated in the last 10-years so even an older one would still be correct. IF the system is back from when UNISON's name was on the manual, it should still have the correct info. Champion purchased UNISON and has not made any changes to the publications other than reformat with the Champion name.

A lot of problems with the LASAR system have been the plastic cam wearing causing the points not to open. IF the points to not open, then the LASAR system will not operate.

It is worth connecting the special LASAR timing light to the mag and see if the points and the TDC indicator goes on and off.

Joe Logie was the contact for LASAR at UNISON. He moved to Champion when the company was sold. I believe that he is now the Champion Ignition Service Manager and can still help with LASAR problems.

My suggestions:
1. Make sure you have good voltage and ground to the LASAR system. DO NOT insert test probes into the LCHV connectors. (bold is copied from L-1502 Rev C manual page 6-6)

2. With timing box connected to the Mags, make sure the indicator lights on the timing box change state as the engine is rotated. Verify correct timing while the timing box is connected.

2. With timing box connected to the Mags, make sure the indicator lights on the timing box change state as the engine is rotated. Verify correct timing while the timing box is connected.

Beware of long term storage of the timing box with the batteries installed.

The batteries in the timing box should be removed after you check timing, and either stored with the box for next use, or used in some other thing, and then new batteries used in a year when you use the timing box at annual time.

Lasar mag

Thanks Gary. I think it’s option 2. Only my and one other plane at airport with Lasar system. So no subscription. He does have the timing box so will give that a go first. If someone has the manual, a quick screen shot would be greatly appreciated. Can private message to me. Thanks

Ignition wire ohms test - Impedance

Performing the second 500 hour inspection on my Slick Mags. Concerning the ignition wires, what should the resistance/impedance be?

Back