What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1950 NM West Bound One day

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
In early September I made a Solo Trip to New Brunswick. I called it a Courier run as I filled the plane with birthday and Xmas gives from my parents on the return. The goal of the trip was to see if I could make it home (Across Canada) in one day. West to East. I saw that good tail winds on Windy were forecasted so I left home in the dark and watch the sun rise in Saskatchewan.

IMG_6122-L.jpg

First stop was St Andrews Just north of Winnipeg, 3.6 hrs and 650 NM. It was a smooth run all the way.

IMG_6126-L.jpg

Next leg would take me direct to Timmins, 3.2 hrs and 680 NM. Nice tail winds!

IMG_6153-L.jpg

Had some nice fresh carrot snacks in the smooth air.

IMG_6133-L.jpg

After a fill in Timmins I headed Direct for Bathurst. There was some weather ahead and I knew I may have to call it quits.

IMG_6161-L.jpg

Sure enough I had to get down and weaved my way into Roberval.

IMG_6170-L.jpg

Set up the tent as there was no way to get in or out of the airport after hours unless you pay a call out.

IMG_6174-L.jpg

Next morning, I got up and was airborne as the sun was coming up.

IMG_6175-L.jpg

Not long I was descending into Bathurst covering 1950 NM in 10.2 hours. It was great to see the family.

IMG_6190-L.jpg

While in Bathurst we even had some RV10 Visitors. It was nice of them to stop and go out for lunch on their trip to Iqaluit. The RV makes the world a smaller place for sure.

IMG_6282-L.jpg

Last edited:
Spent a week with the family and decided to head back west. Got airborne at 9am local on the first leg to Sudbury. 3.6 hrs

IMG_6308-L.jpg

IMG_6314-L.jpg

Visited with other family at the airport then set off for St Andrews again.
Mom packed me some cookies she made so I figured I better see how they tasted.

IMG_6310-L.jpg

Flew along over the many trees and lakes for hours.

IMG_6334-L.jpg

Finally saw some clouds and kept on chugging along in the now 30kts on the nose.

IMG_6338-L.jpg

By this time I was getting close to Winnipeg and dial in home on the GPS. Looks like I could make it by sunset if I was up for it. Weather was great other than the head winds. Landed and filled up in ST Andrews after a 4.5 hr leg then got going on the last leg.
Not long after Regina the smoke got bad. Setting sun and smoke after a long day was a bit hard on the eyes. It was nice to be on with Edmonton Centre.

68420663939__C756E4B1-731F-475C-B9BB-L.jpg

I had getting home in one day as a goal and sure enough I had done it. Touched down just as the sun set. I smashed many bugs down low trying to avoid the strong head winds. 4.5 hr leg.

IMG_6352-L.jpg

It was so nice to be back home with the family again. It was also so nice to know my goal of flying home to home in a day was possible.

IMG_6353-L.jpg

Awesome flight!!

Looks like an awesome flight! Thanks for bringing us along via the pictures. Looks like you made the move to your grass strip; CONGRATULATIONS:)

Looks like an awesome flight! Thanks for bringing us along via the pictures. Looks like you made the move to your grass strip; CONGRATULATIONS:)

Yes moved into the house we built in 2019 and built the hangar in 2020. The runway got built before the house. Made sure my priorities were right! There is nothing better. I fly many times a week just because it is easy to do so.

Great!

Thanks for sharing! The RV10 sure is a great cross country machine. Your kids have grown up since we saw them years ago.

Pizza Delight for the Win!

Nice enjoying lunch with you Troy. Pizza Delight anytime!

While in Bathurst we even had some RV10 Visitors. It was nice of them to stop and go out for lunch on their trip to Iqaluit. The RV makes the world a smaller place for sure.

IMG_6282-L.jpg

Thanks for posting. It’s stories like this that keeps the dream and the build going!

Keith

Back