What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Champion Oil Filter Shortage

DonJr

Patron
Does anyone know what's going on with the supply issues for Champion Oil Filters? It appears they are hard to find and $$ when you do.

Not sure what's going on, I have 3 filters backordered from Aircraft Spruce. They say they should be available Oct 24th.

I'm not sure what is happening. I heard that Champion was not producing filters but that was not a reliable source. All the suppliers like Aircraft Spruce that I have looked at are either reporting not available, on back order, or have a limited supply @+ $45.

The oil filter shortage has been a topic of discussion here, numerous other forums, and at fly-ins for most of this year. Basically, Champion’s production came to a halt, and while Tempest has been trying to take up the slack, they can’t more than double production in a short period of time, so yup - there are a whole lot fewer filters in the pipeline. And just like the great Toilet Paper issue a couple of years ago, folks decided they needed to stock up in advance of a shortage - making the shortage worse for everyone. To be fair, this hits businesses flying certified airplanes (FBO’s and Flight Schools) worse than it hits us the in the Experimental world, since they are grounded without the appropriate (certified) filter while we have some alternatives - so some of the “stock up” was businesses trying to survive. There are training Cessnas and Pipers sitting grounded for lack of a filter to complete a 100 hour inspection.

There are numerous threads here on VAF from the past couple of months on alternatives - try searching “Filter” for some of them.

Last edited:
If you see some similarities between the KitPlanes article and the post above yours there is a very good reason. :D

To be clear, I started using the reusable filter before the shortages. It has many advantages over disposable filters. Long term cost, ability to inspect filter contents at anytime without the associated costs and no mess filter changes.

Long term cost, ability to inspect filter contents at anytime without the associated costs and no mess filter changes.

and I would, not that many here care at all, add environmental concern, as another item gets re-used multiple times iso just being discarded :)

Back