What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snorkel with vertical induction?

Hangar 1271

Well Known Member
Can one use the snorkel on an O-320 with vertical induction? Has anyone actually done it? Pictures, please.

Last edited:
Frankensnorkel

Can one use the snorkel on an O-320 with vertical induction? Has anyone actually done it? Pictures, please.

Just to be clear. You want to fabricate a Frankensnorkel for a Vertical Induction engine?
If there is room for it, I see no reason why it couldn't be done.
You might be able to reuse parts of the Vans Frankensnorkel.
A quick search turned up a few hits where it's been done.

Thanks for the info. Anybody actually done it? The Lancair project appears similar but doesn't go all the way to the snorkel. Does it.

Which cowl are you asking about?

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t most O320’s/O360’s vertical induction? (i.e. an updraft carb) They all use Van’s snorkel cowl which is designed for an updraft carb.

Or are you talking about using a smooth bottom cowl and making a snorkel to work with on an O360?

Homebrew snorkel for a 360 with SDS vertical throttle body to fit in a stock smooth lower cowl.
You would have to do some cowl modifications (bulge it) to get this arrangement to fit under a carb or vert FI servo.

Attachments

• snorkel.jpg
    snorkel.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Frankensnorkel

Looks like Ralph did it. Nice job.
I would start with the Vans Frankensnorkel.
Cut it. Fit either end then glass the tube back together.
Basically how I fit mine.

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t most O320’s/O360’s vertical induction? (i.e. an updraft carb) They all use Van’s snorkel cowl which is designed for an updraft carb.

Or are you talking about using a smooth bottom cowl and making a snorkel to work with on an O360?

Yes, I think they are talking about replacing the chin scoop “snow shovel” on the updraft cowls with an almost smooth non scoop cowl. An additional ‘bump’ being incorporated to accommodate a modified traditional updraft air box. I assume the goal is reduced parasitic drag, but it seems like it would be at an expense of increased induction system drag. I’m interested in the outcome of this experiment.

Scott Hersha
"I assume the goal is reduced parasitic drag..."

Nothing so noble - I had a smooth cowl laying around & decided to make it work. I like it not being like everybody else's RV...

As for doing similar to a carb or vertical FI servo, the forward scooped cowls are about 3" deeper there to make room for the FAB housing. You would have to reshape the forward area to remove the scoop & reshape to your liking. Easily done for those that can get past the 'working with glass stigma'.

(I got away with the shallower smooth cowl because my SDS throttle body is about 3" shorter than a carb & left room for the snorkel ducting)

Scott Hersha
"I assume the goal is reduced parasitic drag..."

Nothing so noble - I had a smooth cowl laying around & decided to make it work. I like it not being like everybody else's RV...

As for doing similar to a carb or vertical FI servo, the forward scooped cowls are about 3" deeper there to make room for the FAB housing. You would have to reshape the forward area to remove the scoop & reshape to your liking. Easily done for those that can get past the 'working with glass stigma'.

(I got away with the shallower smooth cowl because my SDS throttle body is about 3" shorter than a carb & left room for the snorkel ducting)

Nice! I hope you post some pics. I’ve always thought the chin scoop was the draggiest part of my airplane. There are lots of smashed bugs that collect there. They are being smashed by blunt force.

Back