What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traveling with pre-purchase inspection tools?

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Friend of mine is coming out on Alaska Airlines from Orlando-Seattle to do a pre-purchase inspection on a SeaRey, he'll be carrying a torque wrench, compression tester, and jumper wire for the starter solenoid. He'd rather not check the bag, any problem with TSA or the airline bringing it out as carry-on baggage on Alaska Airlines? He's had tools stolen before from checked bags and would rather not check the bag.

Thanks

Last edited:
TSA Rules, Guidelines and Suggestions

TSA posts what they consider allowable, but the issue is it varies airport to airport. (Not the rules but how they interpret the rules) If they think you can hurt anyone with a tool, they will probably disallow it. I've had rather innocent items called out and I had to check them. (Monogrammed barbecue hamburger spatula) I have TSA Pre and that does not matter. You might go to the TSA line first and ask for a supervisor to give you his opinion and mention tools getting damaged, stolen or out of calibration when they are checked. Good luck

I've done this a few times and they are not likely to let you carry tools in you carry-on. They also give your checked bags a thorough going over.

From a TSA website

Tools 7 inches or shorter (measured from end to end when assembled) may be allowed in carry-on baggage. Power tools and all tools longer than 7 inches (measured from end to end when assembled) are prohibited in carry-on baggage; these items must be packed in your checked bags.
https://www.tsa.gov › travel › items
Tools - Transportation

Carry on tools

I just had all that including mag buzz box ,my borescope in a small metal case. Had the tools in my backpack and carried the 3” buy 24” borescope case on carry on with no problem. TSA did ask , one way wanted to see it all and I explained , no problems.

My TSA thought peanut butter was a liquid and wanted to do an anal probe.

Ice (frozen water) is considered a liquid by the TSA. My boss had his bag left on the ramp for a while during a transfer and the fancy chocolate he bought as gifts for his family melted and started leaking out of his bag. He was then yelled at for having too much liquid and not packing it properly. TSA got mad at him when he asked "At what temperature do you calculate liquid vs solid?"

Ice is a liquid because it can't be kept a liquid. And a second reason is you could probably hide some Nitro-Glycerin in the ice. Who knows? Go BOOM big time.
Reasons for everything if you dig deep enough.
Art

I brought all the necessary pre-buy inspection tools and flight gear from San Antonio to Oregon, January 2022, in my carry-on with no problems. Did not bring a full length screw driver or longer than 7 inch extension. Did have several Stream-Light flash lights with spare batteries, borescope, compression tester, two I-pads, flight tool bag, etc.

They did ask why I had the tools and hand searched my bag. Were very polite and professional.

GM

Tools 7 inches or shorter (measured from end to end when assembled) may be allowed in carry-on baggage. Power tools and all tools longer than 7 inches (measured from end to end when assembled) are prohibited in carry-on baggage; these items must be packed in your checked bags.
https://www.tsa.gov › travel › items
Tools - Transportation

Because tools magically become safe when they're 6.99" or shorter in length. Everybody knows you can't injure or kill someone with anything under 7".

I once had a cute little adjustable wrench on my key chain, it was about 2 inches long. TSA made me remove it and toss it out before they would let me through security :mad: They said it was a tool and not allowed.

Admittedly, this was only a few months after 9/11.

I once had a cute little adjustable wrench on my key chain, it was about 2 inches long. TSA made me remove it and toss it out before they would let me through security :mad: They said it was a tool and not allowed.

What did they think you were going to do with it? Start taking the plane apart or something?

Not having to deal with the ridiculous TSA is one the absolute *best* things about having my RV!

Because tools magically become safe when they're 6.99" or shorter in length. Everybody knows you can't injure or kill someone with anything under 7".

Or with a pair of 12" knitting needles.

Long time ago a TSA agent was hassling me, I made the mistake of mentioning something about there was a crash axe in the cockpit. Carpet dance in front of the CPO for the delay.

They once confiscated the tiny scissors in the little sewing kit I took from my hotel room. The scissor blades were maybe half an inch long.

I can envision someone brandishing these on a plane and declaring "This is a hijacking!" Guy would need an ambulance upon landing.

Back