What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EXP119 and 14A

Bavafa

Well Known Member
A few question for those who have completed and flying a 14A with the EXP119 engine.
What did you do with the top of the gear leg fairing that exposes part of upper gear leg, if any?
What do you get for fuel pressure and oil temp?

I flew mine for the first time today and noticed that fuel pressure was lower than the standard 390 or 360. I am getting about 22 PSI and at full power which the fuel flow is at about 19GPH, the fuel pressure is at 19PSI. The engine ran without any issues but I was surprise to see lower fuel pressure. The boost pump only increased the pressure by about 1PSI.

Thanks in advance

It sounds like your fuel flow may also be a little low for sea level for that engine. I would have expected over 20 gph.

On my standard IO-390 I have 29 PSI and on my friends EXP239 he's getting more 35PSI or so. I'm pretty sure his fuel flow is 21 GPH on take off at sea level.

I usually see 30-31 psi fuel pressure and 19 gph on takeoff at sea level.

The fuel pressure is in normal range.

The lycoming Operation manual Fuel Flow versus Power graph indicates that at 210 HP, the minimum fuel flow should be 105 lbs/hr / 6 = 17.5 gph. So 19 is in normal range also.

It sounds like your fuel flow may also be a little low for sea level for that engine. I would have expected over 20 gph.

Fuel flows that high may be seen in the field, but it's not required.

Anyone have a published operating manual for the 119 version? Below I've posted excerpts from the 390C and 390D...same rated power, CR, etc.

First look at the specs page for the C. It says rated power is available at 2700 RPM and 0.47 BSFC. That would be (215 x 0.47) / 6 = 16.84 gph.

Now look at the fuel flow chart for the D. 215 HP at 2700 is 102 lbs, or 17 gph.

I don't mean to be dogmatic here, and Steve's suggestion isn't clearly wrong. There are good arguments for WOT mixtures somewhat richer than the minimum. The fuel control folks routinely set them up to standards which provide more fuel, my own FM200 being one of them. However, the reasons are all fundamentally insurance, not something the engine requires to make rated power. "More is better" is not necessarily true. Reality is closer to "More is insurance, while a lot more is waste".

Returning to the OP's issue, a third illustration from the manual, below. Inlet minimum is 14 psi. In any case, the indication may or may not be correct. If concerned, tee in an analog gauge next time the cowl is off.
-

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1074 Feb. 09 07.53.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1074 Feb. 09 07.53.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 390C FF.jpg
    390C FF.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 390D 47 BSFC.jpg
    390D 47 BSFC.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Thank you all for your inputs.

One question about the lower fuel pressure, is it possible that the lower fuel pressure is due to some air leak in the plumbing? If so, shouldn't I expect to see some leak or at least fumes coming out?

If air leak is possible to be the cause, would it be reasonable to assume this can only be on the suction side of the plumbing and not forward of the fuel pump towards the engine? I would assume anything forward of the fuel pump is under positive pressure from the pump and negative pressure prior to the pump.

Anyone have a published operating manual for the 119 version? Below I've posted excerpts from the 390C and 390D...same rated power, CR, etc.

-

Dan,

I am using Parts, Install, and Ops Ref manual for the A series. I recollect speaking with Lycoming who stated that the 119 version was an A3B6.

I’ll confirm this and report back here.

...is it possible that the lower fuel pressure is due to some air leak in the plumbing? If so, shouldn't I expect to see some leak or at least fumes coming out?

If air leak is possible to be the cause, would it be reasonable to assume this can only be on the suction side of the plumbing and not forward of the fuel pump towards the engine? I would assume anything forward of the fuel pump is under positive pressure from the pump and negative pressure prior to the pump.

Yes, not necessarily, yes, and true for a low wing, more so as the nose rises.

Yes, not necessarily, yes, and true for a low wing, more so as the nose rises.
Thank you Dan for your input, confirming by you gives me more confidence in my thought process. And I really enjoyed your response format. Perfecto

Just a follow up on this thread, I put a mechanical fuel gauge and it sure reads 32PSI, confirming a bad sensor.

Back