What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDU470 (7" screen) in center stack? (RV-14)

JDBoston

Well Known Member
Re posting here in addition to the RV-14 forum.
-----

I am not that close to purchasing avionics yet, but starting to think more about wiring and panel and especially installing autopilot servos which forces more of a decision on brand. I am leaning quite a bit in the Garmin direction and was wondering if anyone has considered or installed a gdu470 portrait 7” screen in the center stack instead of going for a gtn750? What I notice is that people tend to install the gtn750 in the center stack strictly to take advantage of the larger screen and the price premium is huge for that privilege so I may be missing something.

I think I could still fit a gtn 650 or gnx375 in the center for ifr but for a lower cost mfd panel close to the left seat I am thinking this might make more sense to me than another 10 inch screen on the right side where it is more difficult to reference for the left seat.

Thoughts?

Apples and Oranges

I have a GTN 750 in the center stack of my 7A. I find that the large screen of the 750 make it much easier to operate - it’s not just the moving map.

The large moving map on the 750 is a secondary benefit. You should try to get a little hands on time with both the 650 and 750. Once you use a 750, you get spoiled real fast.

I have a GTN 750 in the center stack of my 7A. I find that the large screen of the 750 make it much easier to operate - it’s not just the moving map.

The large moving map on the 750 is a secondary benefit. You should try to get a little hands on time with both the 650 and 750. Once you use a 750, you get spoiled real fast.

Thanks Rick.

No debate at all about the larger screen. That is why I am wondering about using the larger GDU. I would have a 650 or similar anyways so I am getting the functionality. I own a 650 today in my Cherokee so I am familiar with the capabilities.

I am just thinking of ways to get the larger screen in the center stack (totally agree that seems like the way to go), not have the second 10" GDU on the right and use the 7" GDU in the center instead.

Now that I price this out further I think the price difference is around $5500 between a 650 and 750, and the 7" screen is $3000, so it's around $2500 difference to do it the way I am proposing.

If you go with a GDU in the middle where are you going to put the AP controller and 650?

That may be my answer and I didn't do basic math on this at all. I am waiting for the canopy jettison to be relocated somewhere else (kit coming soon apparently) and thought with that it would give enough room.

Do this

Here’s my panel in the 6. I have a 625 that I send my flight plan to from the iPad. From there I don’t touch it much, unless there is a reroute or loading a approach.
Having all the functionality of the 470 in the middle is very useful.

Attachments

• 74AA1D6A-E9D4-4B87-8558-9FA5CA93482A.jpeg
    74AA1D6A-E9D4-4B87-8558-9FA5CA93482A.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 124
Back