VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.






VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

  #1  
Old 11-03-2022, 01:20 PM
Vfr1200's Avatar
Vfr1200 Vfr1200 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Celina ohio
Posts: 51
Default Oil cooler mount

Doing a IO-390 , looking at mounting the oil cooler at angle for better clearance of the engine mount . Has anyone done the same ?
Thx
Photo is rotate 90 degrees
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67F1FF15-F7E4-45A1-9E15-9A577ED4E5E5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	33208  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-03-2022, 03:29 PM
schristo@mac.com's Avatar
schristo@mac.com schristo@mac.com is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 998
Default Room on the pilot side…

There is plenty of room on the pilot side of the firewall but not much extra
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D844345-D784-4EFC-89AA-4FFD4F4F3335.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	33210  
__________________
Stephen

RV7 powered by a lycoming thunderbolt IO-390
turning a whirlwind HRT prop

with more hours flying than building... 2,700 on the hobbs!
Undaunted Airshows ORCA Flight
Race 771
margarita!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-03-2022, 03:46 PM
AndyWW AndyWW is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englefield Green UK
Posts: 82
Default Which one?

Which oil cooler and mounting kit are you using please? I will need to order one soon for the IO390-EXP119 going in my RV7.

(Any tips for what to order firewall forward gratefully received!)

Andy
__________________
Andy @ EGLM/EGTB
RV-6 (Shared, Bought Flying)
Building RV-7 #74424
Riveting fuselage
Donated 2021
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2022, 05:43 PM
bjdecker's Avatar
bjdecker bjdecker is online now
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Georgetown, TX
Posts: 1,355
Default Firewall, Pilot Side

I used two pieces of 6061-T6 Aluminum Angle .063", 3/4" x 3/4" x ~24". attached to the firewall running from the recess down toward the gear tower. The two angles are separated by the width of the SW Oil Cooler (~3.5"). This mount and location will work with SW 8406R, 10599R, 10610R, 10611R, etc. (and clones)...

I fabricated a custom diffuser from fiberglass, to match the area of the face of the oil cooler to the size of the duct from its position on the rear baffle of cylinder #4, 3" in my case.

Attached is an example from another RV-7 I'm helping build. 3" duct and 8406R (engine is an IO-360-M1B6). For the IO-390-C (EXP-119), i'd go with a 4.5" to 5" duct and a SW 10611R...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4184.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	33217  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4185.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	33218  
__________________
Brian Decker
RV-7 (Flying)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2022, 07:16 PM
Desert Rat Desert Rat is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 1,048
Default

SChristo was kind enough to send me a couple of pictures of his installation pictured a few posts up with ruler for scale. I copied his install with good dimension references in my build log.

Fair warning, my oil cooler fits fine in that location as far as the engine mount, and I'm certainly not expecting any problems, but I'm not hanging the engine for a couple of weeks so I can't say for certain until then.
__________________
Terry Shortt
AGI, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P, Janitor
RV7 Empennage & Wing done
Fuselage almost done
Avionics almost done
90% done, 90% to go
#72651
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2022, 08:09 PM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 5,692
Default RV10 mount

I used the RV10 cooler and mount. It's plumbed with scat to a 4" butterfly valve, 4" rubber 45, then directly to #4 baffle where a 4" flange is attached. Valve control is on the quadrant.
__________________
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
E-mail: wirejock at yahoo dot com
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2022, 12:09 PM
Vfr1200's Avatar
Vfr1200 Vfr1200 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Celina ohio
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWW View Post
Which oil cooler and mounting kit are you using please? I will need to order one soon for the IO390-EXP119 going in my RV7.

(Any tips for what to order firewall forward gratefully received!)

Andy
Well I’m not certain yet which mount I’m using yet still getting feed back and trying to lay firewall out , I’ve actually bought everything available one on the market , i first started with airflow where i bought the 13 row oil cooler they had 2 mounts available a 90 degree and 45 degree really didn’t like either, they also sell a 45 degree scope for the tube, it doesn’t line up with the 13 row cooler . I just ordered today the showplanes mount for the 7A and 13 row cooler ,this goes on engine mount and baffle i believe form looking at the pics. i have the vans oil cooler firewall mount and like it but it takes up critical firewall space i think i will need , i really need to get my baffle kit in to make sure where things is end up from what others have said i need to order the 14a baffle kit but no it sure it will line up with the cowl correctly so will keep you updated as i go. ,,
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2022, 01:57 PM
agent4573 agent4573 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mountain view
Posts: 601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfr1200 View Post
Well I’m not certain yet which mount I’m using yet still getting feed back and trying to lay firewall out , I’ve actually bought everything available one on the market , i first started with airflow where i bought the 13 row oil cooler they had 2 mounts available a 90 degree and 45 degree really didn’t like either, they also sell a 45 degree scope for the tube, it doesn’t line up with the 13 row cooler . I just ordered today the showplanes mount for the 7A and 13 row cooler ,this goes on engine mount and baffle i believe form looking at the pics. i have the vans oil cooler firewall mount and like it but it takes up critical firewall space i think i will need , i really need to get my baffle kit in to make sure where things is end up from what others have said i need to order the 14a baffle kit but no it sure it will line up with the cowl correctly so will keep you updated as i go. ,,
I have the showplanes mount on my rv7. Next annual I'm removing the showplanes mount and putting the cooler on the firewall. The seal is very difficult to get sealed tight. Our oil temp runs fine in the air, about 190 degrees, but will climb to 210 in the pattern, and on hot days will get to 230 after landing and taxiing in for shutdown. With a 13 row cooler I was hoping on having issues keeping the temp warm enough, but even with the air valve wide open we can't get anything lower than 185 out of it. I'm hoping the RV10 mount with a decent nozzle/diffuser will seal better and get me 10-20 degrees cooler on the oil.
__________________
www.rv7build.com - out of date, will be updated soon
N69ER - built and flying - 2022 Bronze Lindy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-09-2022, 02:26 PM
bjdecker's Avatar
bjdecker bjdecker is online now
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Georgetown, TX
Posts: 1,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
I have the showplanes mount on my rv7. Next annual I'm removing the showplanes mount and putting the cooler on the firewall. The seal is very difficult to get sealed tight. Our oil temp runs fine in the air, about 190 degrees, but will climb to 210 in the pattern, and on hot days will get to 230 after landing and taxiing in for shutdown. With a 13 row cooler I was hoping on having issues keeping the temp warm enough, but even with the air valve wide open we can't get anything lower than 185 out of it. I'm hoping the RV10 mount with a decent nozzle/diffuser will seal better and get me 10-20 degrees cooler on the oil.
PM sent...
__________________
Brian Decker
RV-7 (Flying)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-09-2022, 04:31 PM
KatanaPilot KatanaPilot is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Locust Grove, GA
Posts: 889
Default RV-7A with IO-360

Airflow Performance 2006X cooler mounted with their brackets and ducts. Custom made duct/butterfly on the baffle. PV IO-360, now 8.7:1 compression.

__________________
Krea Ellis

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2 (Honored to be Van's "Miss July" 2021)
RV-10ER officially an airplane as of 4/5/22!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.