What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb bowl to body screw question

JimWoo50

Well Known Member
I recently noticed the 4 screws holding the MA4spa carb bowl to body had loosened. My technical counselor advised me to buy special screws with drilled heads so they can be safety wired. If anybody has done this and can provide me with feedback and a source for the screws I would be thankful.

I don't know where to buy the screws, but you can make them. Aren't the stock screws safetied by bent-over tabs, or are they coming loose despite the lock-tabs?

The bowl to body fasteners use special locking tabs (part# 78-A97 LK TAB WASHER).

Attachments

• AF0F97CC-47FE-4DA8-BF15-A69E7AC28A5F.jpeg
    AF0F97CC-47FE-4DA8-BF15-A69E7AC28A5F.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 66
I recently noticed the 4 screws holding the MA4spa carb bowl to body had loosened. My technical counselor advised me to buy special screws with drilled heads so they can be safety wired. If anybody has done this and can provide me with feedback and a source for the screws I would be thankful.

Last time the unit was overhauled?
I usually treat carb servicing on a calendar time, 12 yrs or TBO, whichever comes first.

Over time, the bowl gasket can shrink, especially if it was stored for a long time. If that happens the screws appear to have come loose when the problem can actually be gasket shrinkage. If the lock tabs are present and bent, the likely cause is gasket shrinkage. I wouldn't waste my time or money procuring drilled head screws for safety wire. Just make sure the tabs are there and properly bent after retightening and you will be good for a long, long time.
Good Luck, Mahlon

Back