What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel pump overflow and mogas

KayS

Well Known Member
Hi All, i replaced my fuel pump last year when it was showing blue colour from the avgas in the clear tube connected to the overflow fitting. blue colour there tells us that the first diaphragm has failed (but the second diaphragm still working) and it's time to replace the pump. my pump, although showing the blue colour indication, was still making pressure before i replaced it.

yesterday i helped a friend replacing his lycoming mechanical fuel pump. he runs the aircraft solely on mogas (something i also intend to do). his pump failed completely, making zero pressure. before he had no indication at the pumps overflow fitting. no wonder as it happens to be that mogas has no colour.

i remember seeing once a solution for that. i don't recall exactly but the clear tube was connected to some kind of transparent container where the "overflowed" fuel was trapped, instead of draining it overboard.

does have anybody a picture or description of a solution with practical experience in that regard?

PS: please let's avoid a general discussion on mogas vs avgas. i just would like to find a solution for that particular problem.

Best Wishes from Lake Constance
Kay

Back