What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plans Diagram Error (Chapter 26-4)?

DLloyd09

I'm New Here
We've just recently received our fuselage kit after some delays, and were eager to get back to work. It's our first build, and we're getting more comfortable trusting our gut when things don't seem quite right, but it's been eight months since we were last building.

We finished the mid-fuse bulkheads, but as we're working on the ribs and preparing to rivet the finished assemblies to the bulkhead, we noticed something that seems off. Below are two diagrams from Chapter 26-3 and 26-4, particularly showing the left outboard seat rib subassembly. The revision date for these diagrams is 24 February 2022, so it's quite new.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/727HsvsZidQ775yd9

These two diagrams are showing opposite things, right? On 26-3, it's showing the intercostal on the outside and (though I don't show it in this photo), the other part of that diagram shows the seatbelt anchor on the inboard side of the rib. That's how we assembled this rib (and the corresponding one on the right.)

On 26-4 though, the new diagram (omitting the intercostal, presumably for better visualization) shows the anchor now on the outboard side? That just seems wrong. Though it looks like there's been a significant amount of reorganization since the prior printing, the diagram on 26-4 in that printing seems more logical, with the seatbelt anchors both in the "inside" of the two ribs for each respective side.

We are tempted to trust our guts on this one and assume this diagram error slipped by the spot-checkers when revising, but then again it seems like a lot of work to completely redo that diagram when it seems so similar. But there are also many steps in the original that look like they've been moved to a different chapter, so potentially an innocent mistake. There don't appear to be any SBs in play here that would suggest this was intentional. Can someone just confirm our sanity here? Thanks!

It looks to me like the drawing on 26-4 is wrong. The seat belts are attached in that small gap between the rib and the anchor. The side it's on in the drawing on 26-4 is eventually covered by a panel so the seat belt couldn't be attached if the anchor was on that side.

I think your gut is right on this one, or maybe we both did it wrong :)

It looks to me that the seat belt anchor consists of two pieces, one on the inboard side, and one on the outboard side. The piece on the outboard side has a plate nut in the end for the seatbelt bolt, and the piece on the inboard side has the zig-zag bend to create the slot for the seat belt end.

The second drawing of the new revision seems to have the error.

Your plans version is different than mine. In my version (Kit shipped in 2018), there is a part F-1016D (Trimmed) that goes in the spot shown in your clip of 26-4.

Do you have that part in your inventory (the trimming is done by the builder)?

You've cut out the left hand part of 26-3 that shows the F-1016D piece in a different way, so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone! We also spoke to Van's this morning and the technical support team also seems convinced this is an error in the newest version of the diagram!

Your plans version is different than mine. In my version (Kit shipped in 2018), there is a part F-1016D (Trimmed) that goes in the spot shown in your clip of 26-4.

Do you have that part in your inventory (the trimming is done by the builder)?

Yes, that part in installed on the inboard side of that rib (in that cut off part of the diagram and in real life) however the newest version of the plans also did not instruct us to modify that part by trimming as the 2014 revision seems to have.

Vans has just recently changed the flap motor model, therefore the modifications to those plans. Someone else had reported that his received plans didn't match the parts he got which were for the newer motor, so first decide what flap motor you have, then try to make sense of the changes. If you have the new motor, download the newest plans. If you have the old motor (no position sensor integrated), stick to the old plans.

I have the same problem; looks like it's an error in the plans. I have noticed another error in that section: my kit shipped with the new flap motor so the instructions on page 26-2 (inboard seat assembly) include the new F1016D-1 which has changed from the original plans. Page 26-3 (outboard seat assembly) shows F1016D which is unchanged from the original. However, page 26-3 shows the TRIMMED F1016D, but the instructions to trim it are missing (they were in the original plans you posted). I presume trimming is still needed and will go ahead with that.

Back