What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gas Struts Tip Up

circuitbreaker8747

Have a couple questions in regards to the struts on a tip up canopy. Mine are different sizes, is that normal? How do you know when the should be replaced? When fully open they hold find, but was not sure how to tell if they need replacing. I obviously help it open and when I close it once it comes down a few inches I have to lower it the rest of the way so it doesn't slam shut. Thanks for any input.

A search of the Forum revealed a whole RV6 thread on the subject. I use a locking strut from mcmaster-carr on my 7. You will risk a slam down in the wind otherwise...

Heavy canopy

I had one fail while I was building and could definitely tell by the weight of the canopy. I replaced both with a heavier capacity strut from Orr & Orr. It is been over five years now and I’ll probably replace them this fall just because of the their age.

I’ve not had problems in the wind, but I may just be lucky so far.

Last edited:
The trouble is that as they get older, they slowly get weaker and weaker--and you may not even notice it.

In my experience, you should be able to raise the canopy about a foot and a half and the struts should take it out of your hands the rest of the way up and have a satisfying "thunk" at the top of travel. If you have to push it all the way up, or if it acts weak in cold weather, then they need replacing. The struts are relatively cheap, and the consequences of failure can be expensive if the canopy comes down unexpectedly.

Back