What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage arrives

DMFenster

Well Known Member
Holy smokes there are a lot of parts to this thing. I am feeling overwhelmed. My daughter and I got through 1/2 of the unpacking and there are tons of different parts - she thinks it's funny I am freaking out (she's 8). Can I get through this...

I know - one task at a time, but WOW.

Dave

I'm qualified to answer this one!!

Never, never ever stand back and look at all you have to do!!! You have to take that "One thing at a time" thing very serious!!! Each and every time that I forget that and happen to take a look at "The big picture" work slows and nothing gets done!

Yes, it is a large job! :eek: But! Yes, you can do it!!:eek: One small job at a time!! :)

Best wishes!!

Dave---its not a task, its a journey! I'm helping (learning) some friends with their 2 RV8's, and yes there are alot of parts. When I first saw them I was amazed that these pieces of aluminum and rivits would go together in a package that you could sit in, much less fly.
I'm not a builder (yet) but one that is going to be like you soon:eek:
I've learned that organization of your compoenents is the key.
Small steps, one assembly at a time. Lots of help on VAF.
Tom

Congrats and welcome to the club. I started out by placing all the bags of parts in numerical order. Keep the inventory sheets handy so you will be able to find out what is in each bag and quickly get to it. Set up bins and mark the drawers so you can place extra rivets, and other fasteners not used immediately, in the bins as you open the bags. Leave actual parts in the bags until used so you can find them more easily. You will find that many bags will contain the same rivets, so it is helpful to have bins marked for them.

Good luck and have fun,

Roberta

Easier than it looks...

Dave, what Roberta and others said: Bags in order, bins and drawers ready. I would add that you should have a label maker as well. Lastly, an assistant or two. Many hands make light work.

My first intro into RV building was to help inventory a buddy's fuse kit. Like you, I was initially overwhelmed by the vast array of blue-vinyled metal and paper bags. Turns out though, that it's imminently doable. Organization pays. One chief and two grunts, easy on the beer (very easy). It took the three of us only a single afternoon from start to finish. Ta-daa. Side benefit, it was a very enjoyable 4 hours.

Enjoy yours. Cheers.

Biggest challenge is making enough room in your workshop as the pile of parts shrinks and becomes a fuselage.

Back