What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you wash your RV-12?

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
Wondering if I need to get a Creepy Crawler to get under my plane and wash the belly and the underside of the wings?

How do some of you younger pilots scrub the bottoms? Any tricks or tips, without taking a soapy bath and rinse yourself? :eek:

Last edited:
Not younger, but we do it with a spray bottle of cleaner and a creeper. It's not fun, so it usually only gets done a couple times a year.

At 73 years young and having had this RV-4 the past 31 years, my belly stays clean by wiping it down after every third or fourth flight. Especially with smoke oil being used, you'll have a good excuse to get the creeper under there to wipe off the excess. Letting a years worth of engine breather or any other oil vapor cake on will make the job much more difficult. It's also a great way to do a belly inspection on a more frequent basis.

Airplanes really appreciate having their bellies rubbed. They remember that sort of thing.

Dave

Geez, about willing to pay to get both the plane's and my belly rubbed! :D :eek:

After finally soloing since I bought her in June, time to give her some razzle dazzle sparkle and shine again.

Last edited:
I have a Sonerai, not an RV-12. But, its similar in size and a low wing tail dragger.

I use:

- BugSlide on all the leading edges after every flight.
- Plexus on the canopy about every other flight, or as needed
- BellySoap (Aero Cosmetics) on the exhaust track and belly every couple of
flights. (spray on, rub with gloved hand, then let sit for a few seconds)
- Wash/Wax All (Aero Cosmetics) on the rest of the airplane at least every oil
change.

This is the same way I'll treat my RV-8 once its flying.

(Now everyone can tell me how much money they save by using Lemon Pledge and hardware store mineral spirits :D:D )

Last edited:
Back