What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Austin TX

laz

Well Known Member
I am planning to fly my RV8 from Ohio to Austin this month to visit my daughter at UT. She lives just not of campus.

I am looking for the best airport to fly into. The is Austin Exec but maybe there is a better one. I would really like to hanger the plane while there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Definitely Austin Exec. Easy Uber/Lyft into town, decent overnight fees and hangarage if the storms come. DO NOT >>REPEAT<< DO NOT tie down at Austin Bergstrom...unless you simply hate your money. :eek:

I think Sid nailed it. You're headed to Exec for "easy". They will take care of you. It is not an out of the way country airport, but sounds like the right place for your mission.

Check out a recent trip report CA to GA by N325KS .... he stopped and had a picture and kind words for the service he received from Austin Exec crew 3 weeks ago. Cheers

Where would I find a post on that trip. CA-

looks like Exec is the place.

Thanks to all

Austin Exec

Austin Executive recently got a tower. This was needed due to increased traffic. The FBO is a good one. The people are friendly and Uber will be there in minutes to pick you up. I was just there a couple of weeks ago. I tied down for 3 days and fueled once. They cut me a break and waved all tie down fees.

On a side note, my wife was chatting up some folks from Oregon by the pool at our condo in downtown Austin. One of them happened to be Bruce Swayze of this website. Fun meeting RVers by chance like that. John

Yeah they treat you great. Great coffee and cookies. A Concorde engine in the middle of the floor. All you need for flight planning. Great airport.

Contact Bergstrom KAUS

BTW, Austin Bergstrom requests that KEDC traffic (particularly departures) contact Austin Approach ASAP so that they can coordinate you with arriving passenger jets. They really appreciate being asked for flight following.

Bo

BTW, Austin Bergstrom requests that KEDC traffic (particularly departures) contact Austin Approach ASAP so that they can coordinate you with arriving passenger jets. They really appreciate being asked for flight following.

Bo

Is this a new thing? I used to fly into Exec many times to get fuel after an EMS flight in the helicopter and never did that.

Yes, it is a new thing for KEDC.

It is new. Bergstrom ATC recently conducted seminars at KEDC showing eye-opening radar tracks of GA pilots departing KEDC and flying upstream into Bergstrom's inbound approach corridor. Without flight following for those GA planes, ATC has had to re-route a few incoming jets.

It is new. Bergstrom ATC recently conducted seminars at KEDC showing eye-opening radar tracks of GA pilots departing KEDC and flying upstream into Bergstrom's inbound approach corridor. Without flight following for those GA planes, ATC has had to re-route a few incoming jets.

And usual more regulations due to pilots not following established regulations or procedures. Thanks for the info.

And usual more regulations due to pilots not following established regulations or procedures. Thanks for the info.

Assuming we're talking about people departing to the NW from KEDC, what regulations and procedures were not being followed? I'm looking at the sectional and not seeing any controlled airspace or anything like that. Talking to ATC when there's not a requirement to do so may be a nice thing to do, but not doing so shouldn't merit calling someone out for "not following established regulations or procedures".

Most GA pilots are probably not aware of airliner approach paths and may well assume that as long as they stay outside of the Class C they're clear of traffic from the bigger airport nearby. Maybe some kind of sectional marking (or other VFR private-pilot-friendly info) depicting usual arrivals and departures around larger airports might be beneficial.

Assuming we're talking about people departing to the NW from KEDC, what regulations and procedures were not being followed? I'm looking at the sectional and not seeing any controlled airspace or anything like that. Talking to ATC when there's not a requirement to do so may be a nice thing to do, but not doing so shouldn't merit calling someone out for "not following established regulations or procedures".

Most GA pilots are probably not aware of airliner approach paths and may well assume that as long as they stay outside of the Class C they're clear of traffic from the bigger airport nearby. Maybe some kind of sectional marking (or other VFR private-pilot-friendly info) depicting usual arrivals and departures around larger airports might be beneficial.

Not everything is on the charts. That?s why when you fly into areas you?re not used to it?s a great idea to talk to locals to find out what MOUs or other commonly known flight paths for example are signed or agreed to with local ATC for that area. You won?t find those local understandings anywhere for a non local pilot to find before you fly there but before you leave you could be better informed. Remember the part of the Regulations that says you?ll get all the information related to your proposed flight? That?s where it says it.

thanks for everyones help. I plan on departing KPCW (port clinton Ohio) on Friday morning early. I will defiantly go to Exec. . I should be in the area for at least a couple of days. Any interesting places to fly to in the area.

MY 8 is relatively new , first flight was Jan 2018. My Tail number is N958ML.

I have a old friend who was flying a DC3 in the Area. His name is Cliff Walker. anyone know him?

Thanks again

Mike Lazarowicz

thanks for everyones help. I plan on departing KPCW (port clinton Ohio) on Friday morning early. I will defiantly go to Exec. . I should be in the area for at least a couple of days. Any interesting places to fly to in the area.

MY 8 is relatively new , first flight was Jan 2018. My Tail number is N958ML.

I have a old friend who was flying a DC3 in the Area. His name is Cliff Walker. anyone know him?

Thanks again

Mike Lazarowicz

A direct flight plan from KPCW to KEDC puts you 4 miles east of my runway TA37 when you're still 150 miles from Austin Exec. If you decide to take a break stop in and park your RV-8 beside mine in the hangar and stretch and get something to eat and drink.

Not everything is on the charts. That?s why when you fly into areas you?re not used to it?s a great idea to talk to locals to find out what MOUs or other commonly known flight paths for example are signed or agreed to with local ATC for that area. You won?t find those local understandings anywhere for a non local pilot to find before you fly there but before you leave you could be better informed. Remember the part of the Regulations that says you?ll get all the information related to your proposed flight? That?s where it says it.

And after ?getting all the information related to your proposed flight? you will find that there is no regulation requiring you to contact approach. Don?t get me wrong contacting approach is a good thing but not required.

And after “getting all the information related to your proposed flight” you will find that there is no regulation requiring you to contact approach. Don’t get me wrong contacting approach is a good thing but not required.

I never said it was required. If you read the entire thread I used to fly regularly out of there but retired and haven’t been back there so I didn’t know that. It’s a new thing. I was answering a specific question you can see in my quoted answer.

Ooookay. So you're saying that chatting up the locals should be a part of an out-of-towners preflight briefing? Right. I'm sure everyone here will get right on that... :rolleyes:

Ooookay. So you're saying that chatting up the locals should be a part of an out-of-towners preflight briefing? Right. I'm sure everyone here will get right on that... :rolleyes:

I’m not telling anyone how to fly, you can do however you want but in over 4 decades flying I never passed up the opportunity of talking with a local before leaving an airport I dropped into for the first time. It never hurt me and I got tons of great info plus I met someone new.

Flew there Sat

in my friends 7A. Took good care of me. Asked if they had AA batteries and they gave me free ones. In and out of the covered ramp several times as the wife's two nephews, their father and my wife's 89 year old father got rides. Ground crew was patient, cheerful and helpful without fail. Just don't let them park you behind a jet for a minute.

Lightning strike hole in runway.

thanks agin to all that recommended Austin. I was treated so well there and the facility was great. I went out to check and preflight my Airplane on Sunday. The Lineman recommended that I hanger the plane for the night because of pending thunderstorms. I took him up on the offer. He said the planned an calling me that day to recommend the same.

I planed on super early departure Monday morning 6:30 am. the place is staffed 24 7. When I arrived they informed me that the Runway was hit by lightning during the night, blowing a large hole on the asphalt. This closed about half of the runway, shutting down operations for several corporate jets. They had pictures. Not just a small hole.

I left on time with 3000 feet usable runway, on schedule which really helped with my long trip around weather to Ohio.

I have never heard of a runway being that damaged by lightning. New to me even after 50 years of flying.

all in all a great trip. Terry Blacks barbecue is the best.

Glad you had a good experience. The lightning strike was at Austin Executive (KEDC). It is a nice airport. Not very far from KAUS, but better for general aviation.

Clif?

Yeah - I know Clif. I grew up in Fremont, now live in Taylor. Look up 41XS - that’s my place. You could drop into Taylor - no hangars available tho. Rental cars just up the road - I can help you get a car if they won’t drop off. If you can squeeze into a Miata, I might let you use mine. We have a room in the hangar too, and depending on conditions, you can land here, and we can squeeze your plane in the hangar. The runway is kinda soft after recent rain, but if no rain before Friday, it would be OK to use.

What could possibly go wrong??!!

Last edited:
thanks agin to all that recommended Austin. I was treated so well there and the facility was great. I went out to check and preflight my Airplane on Sunday. The Lineman recommended that I hanger the plane for the night because of pending thunderstorms. I took him up on the offer. He said the planned an calling me that day to recommend the same.

I planed on super early departure Monday morning 6:30 am. the place is staffed 24 7. When I arrived they informed me that the Runway was hit by lightning during the night, blowing a large hole on the asphalt. This closed about half of the runway, shutting down operations for several corporate jets. They had pictures. Not just a small hole.

I left on time with 3000 feet usable runway, on schedule which really helped with my long trip around weather to Ohio.

I have never heard of a runway being that damaged by lightning. New to me even after 50 years of flying.

all in all a great trip. Terry Blacks barbecue is the best.

What was the cost for tie down and for overnight hangar space? Total costs to stay in Exec?

They waved the tie down and hanger fee when I purchased fuel. Probably can't count on that, but it was a nice gesture. I would have been just as happy if they charged me. They really care about their customers. First class operation.

I did find Cliff Walker, Unfortunately I never had time to get together with him. Fathers day and all.

Thanks agin for everyone's help.

If any of you are ever in Norther Ohio. I am at KPCW and could fit an extra RV in my hanger.

Mike Laz

Back